Cancer Community
colon cancer??????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

colon cancer??????

I am a 41 yr old male and began having symptoms about 6 weeks ago.  Started with sudden change in my bowel movements that included cramping, difficulty passing stool and blood and mucus discharge. I also felt that i was unable to complete my bowel movements. This went on for 4 days. I was taking an anti-inflamatory (Meloxicam), so i stopped.  I saw my Dr who stated that he was not too worried (taking the wait and see approach).  I was good for 4 days, then it came back, but more mild.  I did a stool sample, but it was Negative (for whatever they looked at, not sure).  Since then (past 4 weeks), i have not had blood or mucus, but i continue to have an irritable stomach, gas, and burping.  I do use protein suppliments and a pre-workout drink (creatine and caffeine).  I recently stopped to the pre-workout drink.
I talked to my dr again and he said not to worry.  I looked up symptoms of colon cancer and i seem to have had some of them. I have no family hx of colon cancer.  I want a colonsocopy, but my Dr seems to downplay the need for one (i finally scheduled to see a gastroendologist (sp?) in about three weeks for a consult.  
Question: do colon cancer symptoms come and go?  is my Dr right re. not to worry?  should i have a colonoscopy?   thanks for your help.
spd