Cancer Expert Forum
could I have ovarian cancer at 29?
About This Forum:

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

could I have ovarian cancer at 29?

Hi, I am a 29 yr old female with two children.  I had my son in December '01 at 35 weeks due to hypertension.  My daughter was born in September '07 at 38 weeks.  She was also induced due to pre-eclampsia. I had tubal ligation 6 weeks post pardom.  In December '08 I noticed that my periods coming every 15-17 days.  I saw my Ob/Gyn in April and she did a transvaginal US, pelvic exam and uterine bx.  US showed fluid in my pelvis but otherwise normal as were PAP and Bx. So I just went for my 4 month follow up last week and the periods were still around every 15 days. I was on the 2nd day of my period at the time but she wanted to do another u/s.  It showed a 7cm x 6cm mass on my left ovary that had a pattern that she nor her colleagues have ever seen.  I am an x ray tech and showed the pics to the radiologists that I work with and they were kind of stumped as well but said that their best guess would be a cystadenoma.  The kicker is that there was nothing there 4 months ago.  She had me do a bunch of blood work including a CA 125 and I have to have my left ovary removed, hysteroscopy, D&C, and Novasure uterine ablation on Sept 14. She is doing a frozen biopsy as well and said she "hopes" it's benign b/c of my age but I signed consent stating that I may wake up with a lot more missing than just my left ovary.  I don't know yet if there will by a gyn/onc on standby--- I think she is waiting for my blood work to come back.    My great grandmother died of ovarian cancer in 1993 (on my birthday--go figure) but no one else in my family has had it. What are the chances at my age that this could turn out to be malignant?  It concerns me the most b/c it has gone from nothing to huge in just 4 months  and the doctors are not sure what kind of mass it is.  Other symptoms are pain, fatigue(persistent), and abdominal distention ( I look about 5 months pregnant), SOB, and nausea/loss of appetite.  Any ideas?