Cancer Community
could this be a reccurence?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

could this be a reccurence?

HI there,I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 3c in 2010 and had 7 cycles of chemo which I finished june 2011.I ve been in remission since and been monitored with ca125 test every 3 months as well a CT scan every 6 months.My last checkup was end of february 2013 and I had a ct scan and  a ca 125 done both came back clear and normal(my ca125 stayed at 9 since chemo).The past 10 days I ve been having constant burping,which I never have,  also intestinal gas on and off thru the day but definitely more then usual and some stomach burning.I am not sure if I am bloated as I cant make a distinction between that and feeling full after eating,but I called my gyn onc and the nurse said Its possibly acid refulux and to try antiacids and if it doesnt help in 2 days to call back so I did as my symptoms didnt go away and told her so the doctor prescribed proton pump inhibitors.I ve been taking them for 5 days now and my stomach burning is gone but burping and intestinal gas are still there just like before.Today I went to the er to have this checked out and they did a urine test,bloodwork(i dont know what exactly) and an abdominal ultrasound and the doctor said my ultrasound is clear nothing is showing and to follow up with my family doctor if I have any further questions.So my question is,could the ultrasound have missed a tumor or lesion?Or my symptoms could be caused by something else?i know i cant have another ct soon because of too much radiation and my oncology checkup isnt until end of june.Please help.Mirjana
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Mirjana,
How are you? What other symptoms are present? It is good that the initial diagnostic test results  and your February test results were fine. While ultrasound may not be as detailed as CT scan, it may also pick up some anatomical abnormalities or  mass. Your symptoms may indeed be caused by gastrointestinal issues. However, it is best to talk to your attending physician about this also You may also benefit from a referral to a gastroenterologist especially if the symptoms persist or do not improve with the proton pump inhibitors prescribed. Take care and do keep us posted.