Cancer Community
could this be cancer ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

could this be cancer ?

hello, I am a 42 year old female ex smoker ,

I had a cold with a productive cough 10 weeks ago , 8 weeks ago cold went but left with a very strong cough which is generally throghout the day and I wake several times a night with strong coughing fits ,

my doctor says my chest sounds clear , my chest x ray which i had done was clear ,

my doctor has prescribed to try , gastric reflux meds , ventolin inhaler to no vail, I have bought several different branded cough medicines and suppresants to no avail, lozenges +++

in the last week an area just above my left collar bone swells tempororily , it appears mainy after a coughing fit , some times it there on and off most of the day and sometimes there appears to be no swelling there at all , It does not feel like a lump more of a sollen area , I think this is where the glands are because of this my doctor has now reffered me to a chest clinic ,

does the above sound like it could be cancer ?

any feedback would be walmly welcomed , many thanks
Tags: Cancer, cough.
Well.....the chest xray was clear, so that's positive.  

Are you coughing anything up that is colored, i.e. green, yellow?  

It is difficult to say exactly what this is.  

When do you go to the chest clinic?

I would say you might need to have a CT of the chest done and possibly a Bronchoscopy.  
hello, thank you for your reply , no I am not bringing nothing up , my chest clinic appt is on thursday and I am having blood test done on tuesday , my GP did say I may have a ct scan , do you know anything about CT scans ? , I am curious , are CT scans ordered just for pacific areas ie lungs or would they automatically look for say everything within the chest area ? ,
CT scans are ordered to view different areas such as the lungs.  I mentioned this in my above post that your physician might order this.

A CT scan will give a better image of your lungs.  The imaging with a CT scan is BETTER than a regular xray.

The CT scan will probably be ordered of your chest, they will see the chest cavity and the lungs.  

Sounds like your problem might be in the bronchi.