Cancer Community
cystic breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

cystic breast

After a second momogram and a ulltra soun,I was diagnosed with cystitic breast , is thats something to worry about it?
I also have fibrocystic breasts. According to my doctor, over 30% of the female population has this condition, in varying degrees. He also added that the cause is probably hereditary in nature. The concern with breasts that are cystic is that it
presents itself as a sort of lumpiness... and, it's that lumpiness that makes the
viewing of diagnostic tests, especially mammograms... difficult.
However, doctors, radiologists and technicians are extra vigilant when viewing the diagnostic images of patients with fibrous breasts precisely because they know that
cystic breast tissue can hide abnormalities.
I wouldn't worry about it... just make sure that you maintain regular self exams and have annual mammograms.