Cancer Community
enlarged lymph node behind ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

enlarged lymph node behind ear

Ok, I am a 33year old female, diagnosed with CIN II  and HPV 16 seven years ago and diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis 5 years ago. I have 3 children 7 yrs, 5 yrs and 3 months old. about three years ago, the back of my earring pierced into the back of my ear but it did not bleed or was there any cut. After that day, anytime I touch the area, it hurts me. It went on for about 2 years and during the 2 year period,  an ultrasound was done on that area and nothing was found. exactly a year ago, November, 2008 to be precise, I felt a very tiny bump in the area and it only hurts when I touch it with pressure. after about 5 months, I went to the doctor to have it checked and an ultrasound was done, at this point I was 4 months pregnant. The radiologist interpreted the results as anechoic small cyst measuring about 8mm x 4mm. and asked that I came back after 2 months for another ultrasound. the second ultrasound showed that the cyst had increased in size measuring about 6mm x 11mm, and then a third ultrasound was done in august and the result came back as a sebaceous/ epidermoid cyst measuring about 14mm x 8mm, continue to monitor. My doctor told me the cyst is in a very dangerous part of the neck and with the jugular vein and carotid artery and some vital nerves, and so will not advice an excision of the cyst. I got frustrated and decided to try another doctor for a second opinion and the first thing the doctor did was to order for a bloodwork and put me on keflex. she said it was an enlarged lymphnode. I completed the dose of keflex about two weeks ago and the lump is still there.(right between my TMJ and my neck, just below my mastoid bone. I feel the lump better when I raise my head up.)she ordered an ultrasound which came back as a lymph node and recommended a CT scan. My blood work showed nothing. Now I really dont want to do the CT scan as I am aware it is not very safe. I asked my doctor for an MRI instead but she refused. I am really confused as this is really bothering me and affecting my activities of daily living. I was reading something on the internet and someone wrote that she had something similar but hers was really painful and it was for 1 month and she was later on diagnosed with cancer of the base of the tongue due to HPV. I am not sure if this makes sense, but will really appreciate a good explanation of what is going on with me and a good advice on how to address the problem. I wanted to add that I touch this lump every now and then. What could this be?
Thanks,

This discussion is related to Test results.
Tags: urgent