Cancer Community
enlarged node question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

enlarged node question

How is everyone here? I need some advice. I am a healthy 23 year old female who has felt my lymph nodes for years. I have them palpated by several doctors and not 1 was concerned. I finally decided to go to a hematologist/encologist a specialist in blood cancers. Anyway she felt my nodes and ordered my a full body ct scan. The ct scan came up normal except for 4 enlarged nodes in my neck area. The ct scan explained 3 looked benign however there was 1 that was of concerning structure. This node was the largest of the 4 so it makes sense to biopsy just the largest and not all 4. Anyway the measurement of the largest node was 1.5cm x 1.9cm.

My encologist was not worried by this at all. Anyway she ordered a CBC which was normal. She also ordered the LDH test which was normal. I know a lot about lymphoma and i understand blood work is usually normal. She thinks my nodes are large due to past infections and never one down. She explained how she does not think I have cancer but since she can see how worried I am she ordered a biopsy anyway.

I have a lot of health anxiety and talk to a therapist because of it. She noticed how worried I was and explained " I am just getting the biopsy to clear your mind because I doubt you have cancer ". I did not have any large nodes in my stomach or groin just the neck area. Today I went to get the biopsy and it was ultrasound guided they did a FNA biopsy and a core needle i believe its called, to make sure they got enough cells. When the radiologist was taking the sample they explained "this looks a whole lot of nothing" it looks normal they explained they cant make a diagnosis of course but they see a lot of lymph nodes and mine looks normal. THey also explained how size really isnt as important as structure. Now the surrounding lymph nodes are huge Im assuming becaus erthey stuck a needle in the area.... ?? Is this normal to have the surrounding lymph node to enlarge due to the biopsy? It was probably tramatic to the entire area.....

Ive also read stories onlione where people have had several large nodes and they were all benign. Can this be true? Im automatically assuming the worst...

My encologist said sometimes nodes stay large due to past infections and the radiologist disagreed with her...

i cant eat or sleep I am so scared. Also if they biopsyd the wrong node would this make a huge difference? I called the lymphoma hotline they explained usually it doesnt matter because if 1 node is cancerous the chances are so are the others.

Has anyone had the experience similar to this and it was benign? The 3 other nodes were not as large but a little over 1cm. I hope someone can ease my mind. Im very very very worried. I suffer from panic attacks as well. Thanks for listening.