Cancer Community
excision versus needle biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

excision versus needle biopsy

Have had a total laryngectomee with radical neck dissection last May, 2009. Now I have a small lump between the base of my skull and neck. I was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the larynx and am worried about metastatic recurrence moving to my lymph nodes. Should I get a needle biopsy or excision? If it is Squamous Cell returning, I am worried that excision might spread it.  
I don't have knowledge about your particular condition... however, I have had both a
core/ needle biopsy and an excisional/ surgical biopsy (rt breast). In my personal, non-medical opinion... it would seem that because the excisional biopsy involves the removal of more tissue, it would improve the chances of rendering a more conclusive pathology report. But, that's just my take on it... a medical professional might say otherwise.  
To add to this discussion... my mother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease a few years back. When she initially manifested symptoms, she had a needle biopsy on the swollen lymph node situated on the right side of her neck. That pathology report returned with inconclusive findings. Then, a surgical biopsy was recommended and, it returned positive for the disease. So, again, I think that, while invasive as it is, an excisional biopsy offers a more definitive or conclusive analysis than a needle biopsy. As for the possibility of the cells "spreading," I'm not sure how, or even if, that would occur. But, it's an understandable concern that you might want to discuss with your physician. Take care.
Thanks for the input; the possibility of metatastic spread worries me most so I hope a medical pro. chimes in. My E.N.T. surgeon is 320 miles away and I was hoping to get some hard data on the two methods for biopsy. That's a long trip for advice on the matter: i'll try to tackle this locally, but I don't want a general surgeon to make the wrong biopsy decision and possibly speading any recurring cancer if it is spreading.