fluid-filled cyst on chest wall after axillary node dissection
Posted a question previously regarding this, and still trying to find an answer. Axillary node dissection November 2007. No cancer. Still have symptoms. In May noticed a "lump" on my chest that was not painful, but did cause irritation after lots of movement or after a night's sleep. "Lump" is on the same side as the lymph node removal.(Left)
At surgery 6 month evaluation dr. removed fluid from the lump and there was no cancer. He says he is "puzzled" by the occurrence and is unsure as to what this could be. Yearly mammo is normal. The lump has become painful and I now have to sleep on my back to keep from compressing the lump. It is soft and fluid filled. What further tests should I have, and what type of physician should I see? Any thoughts as to what this could be? Lump measures an inch and sometimes larger. Thank you
Hi.  That fluid filled cyst may be lymphedema, which is an abnormal accumulation of lymphatic fluid.  The fluid probably comes from lymph vessels which may have been damaged and leaky because of the axillary node surgery.  You may wish to see another surgeon to evaluate your condition more thoroughly.
Thank you for responding. I did ask about lymphedema which he says usually would have appeared in my arm or in my hand. I did have a couple of episodes where my hand and arm did swell, but the situation resolved itself within 2 or 3 days. The Dr. removed 29 nodes, so I did expect some of the lymphedema. I will get a second opinion and I thank you for your time
I have a axillary cyst remover 8 days ago. Now I am having some pain and it hurts to move my arm above my head.  Under my hard is somewhat swollen and firm to the touch.  I started back to work with does requre a little lefting.  Do you think I have hurt it futher and the lymph nodes a leaking?  The dr did not remover any nodes and the cyst is not cancer
Hi-
I am a professional cellist and had only one lymph node removed. Had to play a tour starting about 6 days after. I also have a mass of fluid under my right (bow arm) and it gets much worse when I play. My arm has no edema. What do I do? Heard there is a self-massage techique. I am very athletic and do pilates and kick boxes (not at the moment though!