Cancer Community
growing pulmonary nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

growing pulmonary nodule

I had a pulmonary embolism about 3yrs ago and seem to be doing ok. Since then, I have had random CT scans done and was told that i had a 3mm pulmonary nodule. After a later scan I was informed the nodule is now 5mm. My dr has scheduled another CT scan and it really has me concerned. Is it a good chance the pulmonary embolism caused the nodule and why is it growing? I am so worried because i am 34yrs old with two young kids. If anyone has advice I would appreciate it.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Lung nodules can be benign which can be due to granulomas or clumps of inflamed tissue, hamartomas, or infections. If there are changes in size, further imaging, such as a CT scan of your chest or a PET scan, or biopsy of the nodule may be done to rule out malignancy.  At this point further evaluation is needed to determine the cause of the change on size- whether  they are related to infections, inflammation, cancer, or other conditions. The management will also depend on the cause. Take care and do keep us posted.