Cancer Community
help for my father: impression of esophageal cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

My father has undergone CT chest and the report reveals:

1. multiple discrete homogenous enlarged pretracheal & paratracheal lymphnodes are seen. largest measuring 24x12mm

2. there is short segment asymmetric mural thickening involving the mid esophagus over a segment of 2.8cm. maximum mural thickness measures 11mm. fat planes with surrounding structures is preserved.

3. rest all organs and systems are fine.

but the radiologist says that the impression is possibility carcinoma esophagus.

earlier to this his barium x-ray displayed irregular filling defect.

Symptoms: he doesn’t have any other symptoms except that when he eats, he feels the food passes through esophagus while touching its lining. No pain. No appetite or weight loss.

Latest: Today his biopsy samples have been taken and reports are expected in few days. But the consulting gastroenterologist is convinced through endoscopy that this is some thing serious.

Request you to please clarify,
1. Does this indicate esophageal carcinoma?
2. If yes, what possible stage we can predict before confirmatory tests?
3. Is there a possibility of Benign tumor?
4. Can this be only because of infection (possibly bacterial infection)?
5. What can be the possible confirmation tests apart from biopsy?
6. Any possibility of complete removal and no reoccurrence?

plz suggest your opinion and further suggested course of action.

sincere regards,
Wait the biopsy result, this is the most accurate way to diagnose. Then treat step by step according to the result.

Even the result is unlucky, you should know the 5 years postoperative survival rate of early stage esophageal cancer is more than 90%.

Anyway, hope the result is good.

Thank you so much for your response!
I received my father's biopsy report today and it is positive for carcinoma. it says "moderately differentiated non keratinising squamous cell carcinoma".

we will consult the doc tomoro and will try to decide the course of action asap. as far as it looks to me he is having either late stage 1 or stage 2.

if this is so, then we can go for surgery first and then chemo/radio. do you agree with this? or you have any other suggestions? Sincere Regards,