help for my father: impression of esophageal cancer
My father has undergone CT chest and the report reveals:
1. multiple discrete homogenous enlarged pretracheal & paratracheal lymphnodes are seen. largest measuring 24x12mm
2. there is short segment asymmetric mural thickening involving the mid esophagus over a segment of 2.8cm. maximum mural thickness measures 11mm. fat planes with surrounding structures is preserved.
3. rest all organs and systems are fine.
but the radiologist says that the impression is possibility carcinoma esophagus.
earlier to this his barium x-ray displayed irregular filling defect.
Symptoms: he doesn’t have any other symptoms except that when he eats, he feels the food passes through esophagus while touching its lining. No pain. No appetite or weight loss.
Latest: Today his biopsy samples have been taken and reports are expected in few days. But the consulting gastroenterologist is convinced through endoscopy that this is some thing serious.
Request you to please clarify,
1. Does this indicate esophageal carcinoma?
2. If yes, what possible stage we can predict before confirmatory tests?
3. Is there a possibility of Benign tumor?
4. Can this be only because of infection (possibly bacterial infection)?
5. What can be the possible confirmation tests apart from biopsy?
6. Any possibility of complete removal and no reoccurrence?
plz suggest your opinion and further suggested course of action.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.