high hemoglobin
I am a 67 y/o white male who takes no meds and am in very good health.  I excercise regularly, eat primarily fruits, vegatables and whole grains  and eat no red meat.  My last blood test results showed all normal range except a slightly high hemoglobin count.  Can you pls tell me what this might indicate.  Thank you.  Frank
Hi.  What exactly is your hemoglobin count?  A slightly higher than normal hemoglobin count may merely indicate dehydration (the blood gets more concentrated and results in a slightly elevated count).  This may also happen to people living in high altitude areas.  The body compensates for the thin air by producing more hemoglobin.  An increase in hemoglobin may indicate polycythemia, which is an abnormal overproduction of red cells, but this condition usually involves huge increases in hemoglobin.
Dear Dr. Rogue, Thank you for your reply.  My hemoglobin count is 17.2 and, as you know,  the indicated range is 13.2 to 17.1.  I do not live in a high altitude  (I live in Florida).  I gather from your comments that one possibility is some dehydration.  Perhaps it would be helpful to increase my water intake.  If you have any other thoughts, they will be much appreciated.  Thank you again.  Frank