Cancer Community
hodgkins lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

hodgkins lymphoma

I have been to the doctors today as I have been showing symptoms of hodgkins lymphoma but the doctor dismissed the idea before even hearing about my symptoms and what I had to say, but he did agree to give me a blood test as i was so worried.  he assured me that if i did have the disease that the blood test would show this 100% but after reading up on the internet I am not so sure, he didnt really seem to know alot about the disease if the blood test comes back normal, is that 100% certainty that i do not have hodgkins lymphoma?

He told me he would probable be able to get the results back to me the same day which seems fairly quick to me?
It's my understanding that only a pathology report from a biopsy can conclusively determine the presence of any Cancer, including Hodgkin's disease.

My mother's Hodgkin's Lymphoma was extremely difficult to diagnose as she didn't manifest all of its classic symptoms. And, one of the symptoms that she did manifest was a rather uncommon symptom (severe rash, and uncontrollable itch all over her body). Also... being that she is a Hispanic female in her late 70s, she didn't exactly fit the typical Hodgkin's patient profile, which is a white adolescent male.

I do hope that everything turns out well for you... and, that it's not Hodgkin's Lymphoma. If it turns out that it is... there's is an upside to the disease in that it is considered to be among the most, if not the most, treatable of Cancers due to the fact that it's highly responsive to chemotherapy.

Take care, "i'
Thanksvery much for replying, after driving myself crazy over the weekend, I think I would be able to accept it if I did have it, it's the not knowing thats driving me crazy, obviously i'll be over the moon if I get properally tested and it turns out to be nothing, but it's convinsing someone I need to be tested thats the problem:(
There is no way a blood test will reveal hodgkins lymphoma.
the only sure way is to biopsy one of the lymphnodes, that will confirm hodgkin's.
For your own peace of mind I think you should get a second opinion.You didn't mention what types of symptoms you where experiencing ,but one of  the most common symptoms of Hodgkins Lymphoma is swollen lymph nodes,although it can also be due to other less threatening diseases
like for example swollen lymph nodes, can be caused by an infection,such as  strep throat,ear infection or even a simple  cold.
Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and  lupus can also make your lymph nodes swell.
However some  of the most clear and serious  symptoms of Hodgkins Lymphoma are rapid weight loss, night sweats, and rapidly growing lymph nodes. if you're experiencing any of these three symptoms, then I strongly suggest you go in for second opinion.