Cancer Community
indolent non-hodgkins lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

indolent non-hodgkins lymphoma

My sister was just diagnosed with indolent non-hodgkins lymphoma.  It was found by accident.  She had x-rays for something else, and they saw swollen lymph nodes in 4 different areas.  I really don't know much yet.  Anyone have any experience with this?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  I just want to clarify something: how was the diagnosis of indolent non-hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) made?  Was a biopsy of the nodes done?  I'm assuming that a biopsy was done, because indolent non-hodgkin's lymphoma cannot be definitively diagnosed by x-ray.  If your sister indeed has indolent NHL, the tumor would follow a prolonged course marked by long stretches of time wherein the tumor is seemingly "inactive" and asymptomatic.  This type of lymphoma could be treated with chemotherapy when symptoms (e.g. rapid and progressive enlargement, fever, weight loss) begin to appear.  Otherwise, observation would usually suffice.
A biopsy was done.
Thank you for your response.  My sister is just starting to learn more about NHL.
My sister was diagnosed in August 2007 with NHL.  She received chemotherapy for 6 months but the tumors did not completely go away.  Her doctor told her it was very aggressive and her best hope was for a stem cell transplant.  The doctor explained that this was necessary because each time that she received chemo, the tumors became "immune" to it and eventually wouldn't respond at all.  So, my other sisters and I each got tested to see who would be a match.  I was a perfect 10-point match for her and in June of this year, I donated my stem cells to her for a transplant.  As of right now, she is doing well.  I will pray for you and your family and for your sister's recovery.  I have been where you are and I know how it feels.  Tell her not to give up- to keep the faith and she'll be just fine.
Indolent non-hodgkin's lymphoma is different from non-hodgkins.  It will lay dormant for long periods of time and then raise up again.  I have had indolent non-hodgkin's for 12 yrs.  I 've been in and out of remisssion several times.  The good thing is that new drugs are being developed all the time.  I do have my own stem cells stored for later use.  Remain positive and enjoy each day.  That is good for everybody!
Hi there, I've been having really bad night sweats, I have severe pain in my shoulder blade coming through to the front of my chest, It hurts really bad when I breathe in...I am just so worried that it is nhl. I have just had an mri scan done blood tests and a cxr, I am just awaiting all the results...what do you think??