Cancer Community
inflammatory breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

inflammatory breast cancer

My neice, age 39 was just dx with breast cancer.  She has no real insurance, medical or something.  A couple of years ago she went to the doctor because she found a lump.  She had two appts. all together and the third she was going to have a biopsy.  She didn't go, she was scared.  Now, her breast is very enlarged, hard to the touch, red, warm to touch.  Another doctor says yes to breast cancer.  She has had a mammagram and ultra sound.  It's all over.  From what I can see when I google is that it is at the inflammatory stage.  She goes back to the doctor on the 8th and 12th of next month.  She is in sooooooooo much pain.  She has a temp of 100.1.  The ER said come back when the temp is 100.4 and they'll give her something for pain.  Right now she's taking vicodin and that doesn't even touch the pain.  Any suggestions.  Anyone know how far along this might be?  I gut feeling is that it has spread alot.
Thanks in advance
Hi.
From your description, it does seem that she may have an inflammatory breast cancer (IBC).
Inflammatory breast cancer is an aggressive type of breast cancer.  This is characterized by inflammation and induration of the skin, orange peel appearance, breast tenderness.  Though this is aggressive, it is still treatable.  Treatment would typically consist of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
If her pain is not controlled with her present pain medicine (Vicodin), dose adjustment, adding another pain medicine, or shifting to another drug like morphine are reasonable options.
Regards.