Cancer Community
kidny cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

kidny cyst

I am a 35 year old female with only one kidney, with a history of kidney stones. I do have multiple cyst on both kidneys, the left kidney is so small it can barley be seen on ultra sound. My right one has a cyst that concerns me.

I had a ct done on 9-20-2001- a small, approximately 1x1.2 cm cyst is noted in the anterior aspect of the right mid to lower kidney- unchanged from 8-19-1998.  there is apperent enhancment within the cyst structure and this may represent a diverticila. a 4 mm. diameter calcification in the regoin of the right ureterovesicular juntion.

ct scan- 7-26-2003- there appears  to be cyst in the anterior portion of the right kidney measuring approximatly 1.5 cm in diameter. a 4 mm. diameter calcification in the regoin of the right uretervesicular juntion.

ct scan - 11-17-2006- the right kidney contains a cyst in the anterior midportion measuring 2 cm. in diameter. the left kidney didn't visulize.

ultrasound- 7-19-2007- there is an apparent 2.15 x 2.26 x 2.15 cm cyst at the right kidney. there are internal echoes but believed to be technical. the left kidney also suggests a cyst at 1.56 x 1.53 x 1.33 cm.

ct scan - 1-02-2008- the left kidney is markedly atrophic and difficult to identify at all, but evedently has multiple cysts ranging up  to 1.5 cm. there is also a 2.2 cm cyst in the anterior mid kidney. there is a 4 mm nonobstucting right renal stone, but there is no ureteral stone or obstruction on either side evident.

ok my question is should i be concerned that the right kidney cyst is growing? is it normal?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Have you been tested for polycystic kidney disease?  If not, you should ask your doctor about the possibility that the multiple kidney cysts you have are a manifestation of this condition.  Around half of those with the most common variant of polycystic kidney disease experience renal failure after several years, because the progressive growth of the cysts eventually damage the normal kidney tissue (the nephrons).

Well I have been told that I was born that way with multicystic displastic kidney, and other doctors say its polycystic kidney disease, therfore I am not sure. I know I have blood in my urine alot and sever backaches. every time I asked the doctor if it is normal for the cyst to grow he doesn't answer me. I am going to a new urologist in May. I hope he can tell me a little more. I didn't have any problems until I was 25, I got really sick for about 3 weeks so weak I couldn't get out of bed, vomiting so I went to er and they did a ct scan and everything was fine just get some rest. Well about a month later I was in the process of testing to give my brother a kidney becuase he was on dyalises at the time. so I went for some testing and they called and said that I can't give him a kidney because I only had one functioning. So I have no idea to which it is. the doctors can't make up their minds. I have always wondered since my brother had renal failure could it be hereditery. I am scared I don't want to lose my only kidney if I can save it.. Just wished I had some answers....I am hoping the new doctor can do this for me.