Cancer Community
liver failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

liver failure

In an 78 year old woman with liver cancer, the doctor has told us that her kidneys are failing.  He said things were not good but did not tell us she was dying soon.  How long can someone survive with liver and kidney failure?
Oh Im sorry to hear this Im not sure how long? Ask your doctor how long? I wish you the best..
     You need some straight answers. I found a wonderful website that may answer many of your questions. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Life-Support-Issues-2065/Dying-Liver-Cancer.htm
There are people on the website to assist and address your concerns.  Also, do some research on the internet about liver cancer.  There is a wealth of information, including symptoms and possible treatments.  However, I highly recommend talking more in depth with your doctors.  Don't be afraid to ask them more specific questions.  Keep a list of questions starting right now, and take the list with you for your next visit.  Also, ask the doctor for a referral to HOSPICE.  They are a wonderful organization.  They provide assistance and support not only for your loved one, but also for your family,  I have used them several times over the last few years.    
     My father is in HOSPICE care right now, with terminal liver cancer.  His doctors have estimated that he will live another couple of months.  But his attitude remains positive and he continues to do things he enjoys, as much as his energy allows.  In the terminal stages, their appetite diminishes gradually and they usually sleep more and more.   We have been told that they expect Dad to ultimately slip into a coma.
     Best of luck, and be sure to take care of YOURSELF!
     Sincerely,
     SweetHaven3
Hi im a 37f and have liver failure, portal hypertension,spleenomegaly, varices an addison's disease. I've been in the hospital CCU   3 * in the last 2 months for infection which is being caused by my own flora attacking my GI track. my liver is enlarged, I get horrible  pain there with spasms that wrap around to my back  yesterday it got so bad I just wanted to leave my body and go to god. hey tell me I'm a good candidate for transplant, but I have no children and not married.  so I feel a liver should go to somebody who could really needs it. does anybody else feel like that. if so please reply its much appreciated and thank you for being here.