Cancer Community
liver nodules

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

liver nodules

My mum is 69 and has just had an ultrasound which revealed nodules on the liver. She has been feeling unwell on and off since easter. She has severe pain in the upper right hand quadrant, with nausea and pain when she eats anything.  She has lost alot of weight recently, but as she feels so ill when she eats she has limited her food intake. She has been treated for a urinary tract infection in the last month, which in itself has been painful. Having gone back to the doctor and yet another set of bloods done which revealed the problem with the liver function. They thought she may have had gall stones, which is when the nodules were discovered. We are waiting for a ct scan, but are desperately  worried about her, and have nightmare-ish thoughts going through our minds.
An ultrasound, CT scan, and HIDA scan are all ways to look at gallstones.  Nodules on the liver can be evaluated by CT scan or MRI and if suspicious, a PET scan can look for active lymph nodes.

Good luck!
Mum is in hospital at the moment. She was admitted yesterday as the pain was unbearable. She will be having a CT scan and X ray this afternoon.

She was treated for a UTI infection abour 3 weeks ago and was prescribed with Macrodantin. From the first day taking it she was in considerable more pain  ... having spoken to the doctor about the pain she then only took 5 days of the course.

Is it possible that if there was already a problem with her liver that this could have made it worse.

Many thanks

Macrodantin (macrobid) has had hepatotoxicity reported as a possible side effect, but correctable by discontinuation of the drug.

I'm sorry for your mum's suffering.  Let us know how she does...
Mum has just been diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Stage 4 Diffuse large B cell.

She started her chemotherapy.....R CHOP last Friday. She will have at least 6 sessions, maybe 8 depending on how well the chemotherapy works.

Apart from constipation and feeling tired she is currently coping well. This has been corrected with a larger dose of laxatives. She has 1 more day on the huge prednisolone steroid dose ...then it drops off . Her next appointment will be on Friday for bloods and progress report.

Its been alot to take in over the last few weeks so we are taking things 1 day at a time. Faced with it being a carcinoma in her liver, we are currently dealing with a lesser of 2 evils if you know what I mean!
Does anyone have any positive advice or experience of NHL they want to share with us.
Many thanks
Jackie
Hi Jackie.
NHL Diffuse Large B Cell (DLBC) type is a curable disease.  
Advances in chemotherapeutic regimen have greatly improved survival in patients with this condition.
Numerous clinical trials were already done using various chemotherapeutic regimen., and R-CHOP has become the standard initial treatment for NHL DLBC in the US.

A good family support is always beneficial in patients dealing with cancer.
Good luck.
My Aunt was just diagnosed with NHL Diffuse Large B Cell..and has had her first Chemo treatment (radiation isn't being used..at least yet).
She is at home..and a hospital bed was brought out to her house..someone told me yesterday that this is like hospice really.  I'm just seeing and hearing two different things.
I'm being told.."it's completely curable"..stuff like this..but someone saying this hospice business is unnerving to me.  Also I read a packet that came home with her from the hospital..and realized what stage the cancer is ..4..along with not being able to fully care for herself at this point, (still can go to the bathroom alone-with walker) coupled with the fact that she is elderly..81 to be exact, makes her chances of making it through slim.
Yes..she is old, but up until this..just a few short weeks ago she was still driving herself..now I almost feel like she's giving up.  (I didn't tell everybody else what I read..they were told she's about stage 3 and she'll make it through..but after reading this packet..I don't know..but sure am praying)
I would like to hear any stories from someone who's been or who is in this situation...
God Bless!
wow..I'm asleep..I posted in the wrong thread..
Sorry guys..