Cancer Community
lump above collarbone and on chin bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

lump above collarbone and on chin bone

Hi, I'm 41 yr old female, nonsmoker, does like a drink over weekend. Found pea size lump, changes in size, year half ago. Sometimes feel tired, sweat at night, not drenching, no weight loss, feel swelling and pins needles behind knees and calves. Cough about 3-4 months, feel something in throat when swallow, not always though. Pea size hard boney lump feels like its attached to front bottom part of chin underneath.  Noticed redness and white patches back of throat, no pain, small white pimple spots inner cheeks and constant ulcers bottom lip and tongue. Went to GP, ref'd to Thyroid Specialist whos taken bloods for thyroid, ordered scan and ref'd to ENT (long waiting list).  No scan yet and no appt from ENT but only 2 weeks since seeing thyroid doc.  Went to my GP because the dry throat and dry roof of mouth now waking me up at night.  GP thinks possible infection and given me antibiotics.  I also have tenderness between rib cage, stomach and left under rib cage.  Pain worse if lying of left side. Had helicobacter pylori 10 years ago, GP said not have anything to do with neck or mouth problems.  Any ideas what could be causing these problems?  Thanks for listening.
An ENT evaluation sounds like the next best consultation.  It's very difficult to say what a small lump stuck to your chin is, but it's concerning that it's lasted that long.  It's reassuring that your GP and thyroid/endocrinologist weren't concerned enough to get more urgent appointments.

Imaging studies that can be helpful include cat scans and bone scans.

Enoch Choi, MD
I finish my antibiotics today, no real change in mouth or throat.  Tongue still burning and looks more grey.  Still have small white spots of cheek, white patches on upper/lower lip.  Throat still swollen, red and white patches - not sore though.  I still got the lumps on neck and chin, tired a lot of the time.  Hope to have ultrasound on neck end of April - got to ring ENT dept next week to see when my appointment will be.  I'm now getting shooting pains behind, in front of left ear, also at back of head, also experiencing pain in left side of jaw with some numbness (like when you've been to dentist and wearing off), also noticed a clicking on my jaw when mouth opened wide.  Keep you posted and thanks for you reply.
Sorry, I have 2 lumps - one above my collarbone (pea size that changes in size from pea to larger). Feels hard but very smooth, possible thyroid nodule.  Lump attached to my chin bone, about pea size but very hard - feels like bone, never changes in size.  Have had both lumps for over year and half.  
Been to dentist this morning.  Mouth feels better today, still have swelling to back of throat and dryness.  Dentist had a look in mouth and said everything looks ok.  Checked lump under my chin and thought it could be extra piece of bone growth, or perhaps from a bang when I was a child, but feels best to check it out.  I explained that since Monday one of my top teeth had been hurting (3rd tooth along in the mouth, left side).  I have had a previous root filling in this tooth.  After an xray this tooth showed to have a cyst to the side of the tooth, which he said was unusual, however, above the tooth next to it was a lump.  Dentist said he didn't know what the lump above the other tooth was.  He is referring me to Oral spec. but as routine appt (so could be a good 6-8 months wait!).  I've got to get the bad tooth refilled and crowned over the next few months, dentist said he would keep an eye on the lumps for me whilst I wait for the appt.  I'm taking it that as the appt is going to take that long I should not worry about what the lumps are?  My dentist also told me that the burning sensation in my mouth and tongue could be due to me worrying about cancer and that it is quite common to have a burning tongue when worrying that way????  Feel like I'm seeing a lot of specialist at the moment - ENT (waiting), thyroid - yet to go back and now Oral specialist!!!  My husband wants to trade me in for a younger model!!!!!  :-)
Have been to dentist yesterday.   Mouth feeling bit better - no ulcers, burning sensation gone down and throat starting to look bit better.  Dentist said that the burning tongue/mouth could be due to 'cancer fear' rather than a condition, otherwise suggested to get B12 checked.  I asked him to look at mouth and he said everything looks ok.  He felt boney lump under my chin and thinks it will probably be an overgrowth of bone - maybe from a fall when I was young.  I asked if he could check one tooth because I thought there was a problem as the gum above it was starting to hurt.  After an xray dentist thought that a cyst was to the side of the tooth (even after a weeks course of antibiotics!), however, there was another lump next to it above the next tooth and he didn't know what that was?  He has decided to send me to an oral specialist as a routine appointment - which I'm taking as positive because surely he would send me quicker if he thought the lumps suspicious.  I am having to have root filling and crown done to tooth and I'm a bit worried that he is going to do this without knowing what the other lump is and if there is a cyst in situ.  Should I be concerned?  My ENT appointment has come through for next week (lot sooner that what I thought!) so will address this point to him as well.  Thanks for listening. :-)
Hey, sorry, got stuck doing taxes, ugh.

I'm glad you've gotten regular checkups and the dentist didn't have a significant concern to get you into an oral surgeon immediately.  Xrays can tell if a bony lesion is cystic or solid, and it's reassuring it's not solid.

I'm glad you were going to see the ENT last week.  How'd it go?

Enoch Choi, MD
On Saturday my husband found a knot on the edge of his chin, left side.  He shaved thinking that is was a pimple or an ingrown hair.  I looked at it and found that it was reddish in color and about the size of a penny but did not appear to me as a pimple of any kind.  Today, Tuesday, when he woke up he complained about his chin again and a spot on his left collar bone about the same size and color.  He can not tilt his head backward or forward much, about 1 to 2 inches and he says it hurts badly to even try.  His right collar bone appears to be swollen but does not hurt and the area of pain on the left collar bone is about the same as a softball.  Outside the area of pain on the leftside he says that there is not much feeling, numbness.  He has been running a lower grade to 102.5 temp for several days and had headaches on and off.  What do you think?