Cancer Community
mass on chest x-ray

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

mass on chest x-ray

I had a chest x-ray and it shows a mass on or near the lung.  I am going for a CT scan.  Is it possible that it is not maligant?  Or does the pretty much mean it is cancer?  I am 59 year old female.  I had breast cancer 9 years ago.  Lumpectomy and radiation.  
Tags: mass, Chest
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  The fact that you've had a previous history of breast cancer increases the likelihood that the lung mass detected on chest x-ray is malignant.  There is always a possibility that the "mass" is not cancerous.  It may be an infection such as tuberculosis or pneumonia.  Sarcoidosis, a condition  wherein non-cancerous nodules are formed in different parts of the body, may also be seen as a "mass" on chest x-ray.  Additional tests will be needed (e.g. biopsy) to determine the nature of that lung mass.