Cancer Community
neck swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

neck swelling

I have had neck swelling on both side just above my clavical bones for about 3 weeks now.  The doctor feels no lymph nodes and thinks it may be fluid build up as the swelling is lessened in the early morning.  Had a Chest Xray that came back normal.  Going for CT tomorrow.  My doctor doesn't seem concerned but I am.  Any ideas?
Hi Scotty,
Your doctor probably thinks that you have "venous engorgement" i.e. there is fluid backing up in the veins and the surrounding soft tissue.
One would not expect an enlarged lymph node to become smaller in the mornings.
The CT should help narrow down your diagnosis.
How was your CT scan?  Bobby1973 is right, it's reassuring that the swelling is less in early morning.
CT Scan was perfect - except for multiple cysts on liver which I have had for 10 yrs +
Dr thinks it is fatty tissue that appears as swelling- I almost think it is due to "slaving" over a computer all day - mainly because the swelling is almost not there in the AM
Or maybe "thoraic outlet syndrome" ???