Cancer Expert Forum
non-hodgkin's lymphoma

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

non-hodgkin's lymphoma

in may 2008 my wife had a biopsy on a lymph node near her breast and armpit.  the lab report said "findings are of an atypical lymphoid infiltrate...predominantly cd20 positive b cells showing a mild lambda light chain predominance...b cell clone... highly suspicious for involvement by a b cell lymphoma with features suggestive of a marginal zone lymphoma...

a surgeon told her she had lymphoma, but the oncologist asked for more tests after my wife pressed for them.  she had vacuum assisted biopsy, which did not yield any further positive result (nor much testable tissue either) and then she had the whole node removed under anesthesia, and it showed no lymphoma.  

she received no treatment.  the oncologist suggested that "the tincture of time" would determine if she has lymphoma. it has been 4 years and so far so good.  how likely is it that she does have lymphoma that will come back, and if not, what the heck could have happened?

thank you.
Dear smileydog1972,

Thanks for writing in.

It seems that the node which was removed was non-malignant (ie, there was no lymphoma). When an entire node is removed, that gives the best tissue and picture and if that is negative, then I would go with that. Needle biopsies can sometimes be very misleading, especially for these low-grade lymphomas.

It has been 4 years and she is doing well. I see no reason why we would be concerned about it coming back.

I feel she will continue to do just fine!

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh