opacity in upper lobe
What is the meaning of "suspicious faint opacity in upper lobes" from my xray results? I have been asked to have an apicolordotic view, but Im still waiting for the results. What diseases is this associated with? I am not losing weight nor having fever or sweating during the night.
Hi.  "Opacities" in chest x-ray refer to white smudges on the lung areas. Normal lungs appear dark on x-ray films because they're filled with air.  Any material denser than air would appear as an opacity.  "Suspicious faint opacity in upper lobes" may suggest a diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis or a lung mass, depending on the characteristics of the opacity.  An apicolordotic view was requested to verify if that opacity is really there or just an artifact when the original chest x-ray was taken.  
What is the meaning of Opacities in my x-ray result....that i need an apicolordotic view of my left upper lobe? Im coughing during my x-ray....is this can affect my x-ray result? during my 2nd or repeat x-ray i have cough still...but im not losing weight nor fever or sweating during the night. still the result...opacities may be due to TB.... does it means i need to repeat again my x-ray?
Hi.  The apicolordotic view is requested by the physician when he's uncertain about the nature of the upper lobe opacity he sees on the original x-ray.  It doesn't necessarily follow that you need an apicolordotic view just because some opacities were seen.  Your doctor needs to look at the entire clinical picture gathered from your history, physical examination, and other laboratory tests, and correlate it with the x-ray findings, to come up with an interpretation of what those opacities "mean".  So those opacities may or may not be due to tuberculosis.  It really depends on what clinical picture you present with.

Coughing while the chest x-ray is being taken can cause some blurring of the image, but will not cause opacities to happen.
You said:
"An apicolordotic view was requested to verify if that opacity is really there or just an artifact when the original chest x-ray was taken."

-- My son's first x-ray result also indicated "suspicious opacity in upper lobes" and the doctor requested for have an apicolordotic view (no results available yet).  
What "artifact" do you think can cause the opacity in a chest x-ray?

Thank you for your  help!
Hi.  Sometimes, dirt gets on the x-ray film or smudges occur during processing of the x-ray film.  These can also appear on the film as "opacities", and what I was referring to in my earlier post as "artifacts".  If the opacity is truly found within the lung, it will still be seen in the apicolordotic view, whereas artifacts typically will not reappear on the second film.
gud pm po..
my history po dti ko ng ptb and been treated already ( 2005) and my naiwan po n scar. ngpmedical po ako for employment and pinpag rerepeat me ng xray  for apicolordotic view. tnong ko lng po kung mlalaman b nila n scar nlng tlga un?? bka kc hindi me tanggapin bka akalain nila n my ptb p ko. sinabi ko kc don sa doctor n wala ako history ng ptb e.
plz reply po...
thanks and Godbless
Hi.  To determine if the opacity seen in the upper lungs on chest x-ray represents active tuberculosis or just a scar, additional tests have to be done.  Your sputum can be examined under the microscope (sputum AFB smear) for the presence of tuberculosis bacteria.  Another test which could be done is to place a sample of your sputum in a culture medium and see if tuberculosis bacteria will grow.  If you do not have symptoms at the moment (chronic cough, fever, weight loss), you most likely don't have active tuberculosis.  But if your employer demands additional proof, then a negative sputum AFB smear or sputum TB culture will settle the issue.
gud morning doc,.
last year i was diagnose to have tb on my right upper lobe
but i didn't took medicine. when i took another chest xray it was seen to be suspicious and was suggested to take apicolordotic view. in my apicolordotic view the result was clear. is it possible for the tb to cleared even w/o taking antibiotics or any medicines?tnx
Hi.  Pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) cannot be diagnosed by chest x-ray alone.  Opacities seen on chest x-ray merely suggest PTB, but do not offer a definite diagnosis.  There has to be a particular set of symptoms present (chronic cough of at least two weeks duration, weight loss, afternoon fever) plus the presence of PTB bacilli in sputum microscopy or culture for us to be sure that a person has PTB.  It is theoretically possible (although unlikely) for PTB infection to resolve spontaneously.  A more plausible explanation for the disappearance of the opacity seen on initial x-ray, is that it is just an artifact (e.g. dirt that contaminated the x-ray plate) and not a true lung lesion.
just want to ask,i had 3 xray for the past 3 months on 1st and 2nd month the result was normal..but this march result was found out the suspicious upper right lobe opacity and i was asked for apicolordotic view but i haven't do yet..lately i don't know if it's all in the mind,i feel so tired..is that normal?tnx
i just want to know what clear apices would mean????
The apices are clear.The rest of the chest structures are distorted due to positioning. The superior mediastinum is not remarkable. The osseous thoracic cage reveals no significant bony abnormality..

CONCLUSION:  CLEAR APICES

can anyone would tell me what this mean...thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas...god bless everyone..
gud day po, yearly po kme ngpapaxray and last year nomal nmn po un result skin.this month po, sbe ng result meron daw po "very minimal opacities seen in the left apex"..tpos ung pulmonary q eh normal din lhat normal na..ask q kung nu meaning nun?niresetahan nya po aq ng rifampicin for 2 months at un appetite plus..wala po aq nrrmdamn kht anu n symptoms(loss of appetite, fever, etc), mtkw p nga po aq eh.as in wala po ako nrrmdmn.tnx
doc pano kung may ptb at pneumonia nakita sa xray pero ala naman ako nararamdaman kakaiba sa katawan ko alang fever ubo loss of weight
Hi po doc. i hav recently undergone CXR and it says in my CXR: suspicious opacities in the right apex. I was advised to undergo coned-down view. Was it similar to apicolordotic view. i also wnt to know if opacity in my right apex suggests that my right apex is not clear

pls reply. tnx po doc!
I cant make out what the doctor is saying,...."Chest x-ray showed multiple pulmonary opacities with right upper lobe ________."   Right upper lobe what?  Can someone help me please?
Doc,
I have an xray taken the other day. The result says "There is an inhomogeneous opacity at the right upper lobe. Rest of the lung fileds are clear. The trachea is in the midline. The heart is not enlarged. The pulmonary vessels are within normal limits. Both hemidiaphragms are distinct the osseous thoracic cage reveals no significant bony abnormality "

Ano po ibig sabihin nito... Please help me po.. Can this be a ground for not accepting me for my job?
hello! just got my xray last april and i was advised to take apicolordotic view because of hazy density is noted in the right upper lobe,wat does it mean?please help me because i am scared..tenks and Godbless
I had an x-ray yesterday and the results was "ancillary study shows clear apices". What does it mean doc? Please help me po. Salamat

Donatelo of Muntinlupa City
I have done my Chest X-Ray and the report says
"Subtle Fibrocalcific are seen in bilateral upper zone suggestive of sequale of an old infection"

Can anyone tell me what does this mean...Is there any problem or disease i am having especially TB?
Gud day po for everyone...gusto kuh lang e share kung ano meron sakin kac nagpapa proces po ako nang requirements kuh and din kelangan mag pa x-ray e yung results minimal PTB po...wla naman po akong nararamdaman na kakaiba taz biglaan lang na ganun..parang ayaw kuh na ituloy ang trabaho kuh..

tnx...po..
god bless everyone..
sana matulungan nyo ako doc
I would like to know what am I facing, coz I did my following tests:-
1) 3 back to back chest X-rays which resulted in opacities in the right upper lobe.
2) Doctors asked to under go a sputum and culture test (which I did in India and in Canada) both were negative.
3) After it is negative, doctors are unable to answer as to why am I facing pain in my right upper lobe (when I sneeze and wake up in the morning)
4) I was asked to under go a CT scan, which resulted in a non - homogenous fibro nodular opacities seen in the right upper lobe with few fibrotic strands.

I am highly disturbed as no doctor is able to answer why am I facing this pain, would you be able to help me with this.

Look forward to hear from you.
hi im 21 years old and im a nurse 2 years ago i was diagnosed with ptb minimal for a medical exam for our hospital trainings.i might acquired it from one of my pt. i consulted my physician and undergone a sputum AFB the results are all negative so i was given a medical certifacate saying that i am not contagous. i was treated though. after 2 months i came back but after that i did not go back to my doctor but finished the whole six months of treatment instead. i never had other chest xray since then because i a ashamed of my condition. now i am planning to go abroad but i am scared that my chest xray will show that i am not cured and will failed the medical exam. i am so scared and worried now. PLEASE HELP. thanks
hi i am 23 years old..and a working student...every semester break in our school..students must undergo in a medical test..i am a 3rd year now sir...on my previous x ray results it show that i have a lungs are "CLEAR..
but yesterday when i got my recent x ray result..it says that i have a persisted hazy densities on the part that i have before..and it also says that it has no interval change..why do you mean by this sir? because it makes me feel bad..:(
my question doc are..
do i still have to undergo in medical treatment? if i must how many months could it be..? and is there possibility that i can treat my PTB..permanently...
my question doc are..
Hi Doc tanong ko lang po last sept 29 2011 na considered na ptb ng agency ko for travel abroad and nagpa x-ray po ulit ako oct 10 2011 nodular opacity naman po ang nakita bakit po kaya ganun mdyo magulo lang po if ever meron ako ptb ngkkroon ako ng sipon at ubo pero gumagaling naman po kaagad and hindi naman po ako nagkakasakit in fact massage therapy po ako ngayon at nakakapagtrabaho naman po ako wala naman po ako nararamdan masakit ang likod. ano po ba dapat ko pong gawin para po ma clear lungs problem ko sa medical sana masagot nyo pokaagad salamat

joni form malabon
hi doc i have been diagnosed to have a suspicious opacities in both of my upper lungs aand have the remarks lordotic view,.i just wanna know what it might be?having that findings..thank you
Gud day! will u pls help me explain this x-ray result. tnx

This is my x-ray result.
There are hazy opacities in my upper lobe. Diaphragms and sinuses are intact. tnx
hi doc tanong ko lang po kung ano po ang ibigsabihin ng reticular right upper lobe opasities are seen?salamat po
I had to take an xray as part of the medical check-up for getting visa. The urine, blood samples all went well, but the doctor said there is  "opacity in the left apex'. he suggested antibiotics for a week and repeat Xray.
I have no symptoms or cough or any other problem.
Please help
what is the meaning of "increase opacity at the right apex'' in a chest x-ray result?
Hi Doc., I had undergone 2 xrays last two months, chest xray and apicolordotic view, both says it's minimal PTB on the upper lobe. I even had a sputum test but it was negative of PTB. The doctor prescribed me still anti-PTB meds and I've been taking it for two months now. Last month (July 19),i had my check up and xray again, it says that there were no significant changes since my last xray on June 19. The doctor advised me then to have the check up together with my sputum test after one month again, to see if I will be changing medicines(maintenance meds) if the sputum test result will be negatiive. Am I on the right track?? I just want to know your views. Please reply....Please help me.
hello dr. fernando!
i wanna ask what does this result mean. "minimal haziness is seen in the left upper lobe overlying the osseous structures.

impression: ptb left upper lobe of undetermined activity. for clinical and bacteriologic correlation."
pls help. thank you very much
hi doctor fernando roque, my husband had a medical exam last week and found out that he has suspicious opacities in right upper lobe on his CXR. we are worried because he cannot afford to lose his job as their requirement is to pass the medical exams, may i ask is there any cure for this? is there any medicines or vitamins he needs to take so that when he's going to have his apicolodotic, the result will be clear... please help us doc.. thanks alot...
another thing doc, you said "Normal lungs appear dark on x-ray films because they're filled with air.  Any material denser than air would appear as an opacity." did you mean part of the lung that appears to have an opacity has to fill with air to make it clear? you said normal lungs appear dark because it has an air on it, does it mean the part of the lungs that has an opacities was lack of air? thanks so much doc..
pero possible ba magkaroon ng cancer?
gud eve d0c,an0 p0 b ibig sabihin nung Fibr0sis,suspicious 0pacities on right upper l0be?yun p0 kz result ng chest xray k0,ngpatest na din p0 aq ng Apic0l0d0tic and Sputum AFB,negative nman un result..wala din naman p0 aq nararamdaman kahit an0,nababahala lang p0 kz aq bka hindi aq makapasa sa medical exam pagpunta abr0ad..kelangan p p0 b mgpacheck-up na din aq sa Pulm0n0gist para mlaman k0 kng san k0 nakuha at kung bakit?thank u s0 much d0c
Pwde po bng mgpaulit ng xray.agad agad
Hello..need help..i had my chest xray and result showed right upper lung densities probably kochs in etiology of undetermined activity..i consulted a pulmonologist and was advised to have sputum and skin test and apicolordotic xray..does an apicolordotic xray necessary if the result of my sputum and skin test is negative?
Gud eve po nagpa xray po aq nung sept.30,2013.pagod po aq nun galing po aq s byahe sinabi ko po s mag xray sakin n masakit po ung likod ko at my ubo't sipon po aq nun.ang lumabas po sa xray ko suspicious opacities. Right upper lobe. Suggest apicolordotic view for further evaluation. Pwede po dahilan kya naging ganun ang resulta kase dahil pagod po ako ng nag xray tapos masakit p po ung likod ko. Galing po ako trabaho nun. Sana po masagot nyo po ang tanung ko kase po baka po hindi ako maka pag trabaho.salamat po
Dear Doctor,
13 years I am in abroad, Recently I have changed my job.  For free employment medical I went to clinic and done the test ( blood and Chest X ray). and they have given Fitness certificate. I was offered employment  and after two months I went to the same clinic to take the medical certificate for Visa. They gave a negative report stating that there is ill defined opacity in the left lobe of the lungs.  I have given sputum sample for contineously for 3 days ( morning ) and the AFB test is negative. Depite that they have referred me the Ministry of Health hospital for PTB. They have taken a  chest x ray and blood and sputum and asked me to come after a week. When I went they told me to take a CT sacan. The Scan report says. partly defined opacity in the left lobe of the lung measuring 2 x 1.6 cm.  I am hesitate to go the Hospital and taken a TB Gold test. Awaiting result. I have no symptoms of TB such as fever, caugh and weight loss. In fact i am struggling to control my weight.  Please advice about  my medical condition How I will prove that I dont have PTB.
ms, just look for a credible lab that does chest xray, such as a tertiary hospital known in your place or a well equiped lab and have a chest xray, i dont know what, probably an PA xray, and wait for the result. after it, whatever the result, you can still confirm it by other tests, its better to be diagnosed early, the earlier, the less chance of having bad xray result. Im no doctor, but a nurse as well... don't be afraid... remember, the earlier you know your condition, of whether you really have one or not, the better...
h i doc  nagpaxray po ako  tatlo basis sa loob dalawang buwan yong una scar  left upper lobe my history po kami di ko cnbi    mawala  ba scar    ngayon peb 28 nag xray ako ulit  non   dis place opacity noted tb etiology ano ibig sabihin
Doc tanung ko lang yung finding ng xray ng mother ko  fibrotic stand both upper and lower lobbe lungs field of empysematus gramuloma noted in right lower lobbes pls reply or email me at ***@****
Consider streaky opacities, left upper lung may represent residuals from prior
infectious/inflammatory process

What does this mean?

Thats the result of my apicolordotic view
Mgandang araw po doc. Doc ng p check-up po ako dhil s isang bwan kung ubo pero hindi nman ako nillagnat at ang sbi skin ng doktor n mg p x-ray at kinunan ako ng plema, bgo un binigyan po ako ng gamot n mucobron forte at ung finding ng s x-ray ay faint upper lobe opecity pero nung pg inum ko ng gamot hindi n ako inuubo non di tulad ng nkaraang araw n hindi p ako nakkainom ng gamot.
Pwede po b akung mg p x-ray ulit pra tlagang mlaman kung tlagang my tama po ako s baga o wala?
Wla po akung iniinom n gamot bukod s mucobron forte n binigay skin ng doctor
Hi last  August  8, 2014 I had my chest X-ray and it shows that I have inhomogeneous  Opacities. And the impression is that I have prb both upper lobes. Just wanna know what's the meaning o inhomogeneous opacities? Its it infectious or contagious? But I'm on my 3 months medication thank hope u can help me.
hi! gud day po. i had my chest xray po last week and it was indicated that i have fibrohazed opacities on the upper left lobe. sabi po sakin nung radiologist "dumiretso ka sa doctor mo at maggamot ka at ikaw ay may TB"..totoo po ba un?kasi sabi po sakin ng family doctor namin scar na lang daw po un..what does it mean po ba of fibrohazed opacities?thank you and i hope you could help me with this..GOD BLESS!!
My Brother report suggest "faint inhomogeneous opacities are seen in right upper zone"
"bilateral hilar prominence is seen"

He is loosing weight and has fever(102) during night and 100 around in evening and 97 during day time..
Also he does not have a good taste for food (B12 vitamin was found to be less) for which he is taking medicine and has  stomach pain regularly

Could you please suggest some treatment
i was diagnosed having a nodule in my right upper lung on my xray 6months of treatment and my first two months taking meds sputum result is negative and then after six months i had final sputum test and it is also negative, i have my new xray today but the finding is faint opacity what does it mean? am i clear now from ptb?