Cancer Community
pancreatic insufficiency?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

pancreatic insufficiency?

I was recently diagnosed with severe pancreatic insufficiency. I have a swollen common bile duct and swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen which they can not biopsy, due to risk, but came up with a (max) FDG uptake on a CT? what are the causes of of swelling in the common bile duct (aside a post gallbladder removal, which i dont know how, but my Dr is convinced it doesnt have to do with that) and could it relate to the pancreatic insufficiency or the nodes? My pancreatic elastase test was severely low @ 48 (>200 I'd normal) is this something that would warrant going threw more testing to find out why? I was also wondering if it is common to have swelling of lymph nodes (max) FDG uptake and it not be related to cancer? They have excluded bacterial and viral causes. Furthermore as I stated previously they can not do a biopsy of nodes due to the risk of hitting blood vessels. So they are taking the wait n see approach. As of the last CT (dated 7-15-13) the nodes had not changed- they are stable and the largest is 2 mm. What other choice is there to get to the root cause of this. Could it all be related to systemic lupus (which I was diagnosed with in 2010. Would that show this kind of uptake on the PET and cause such a severe case of pancreatic insufficiency?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I understand your concern about your diagnostic test results.  Pancreatic insufficiency is usually  suspected in a patient who develops diabetes, upper abdominal pain and features of malabsorption such as bowel movements which are bulky, loose and foul smelling.  It is commonly associated with diseases such as pancreatitis or cystic fibrosis as well as certain gastrointestinal diseases, such as stomach ulcers and Crohn’s disease, and autoimmune disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), may also lead to the development of pancreatic insufficiency. Talk to your attending physician about this also for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.