Cancer Community
pathology results...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

pathology results...

i was recently diagnosed with DCIS...with an area of 1.4 cm noninvasive cancer noted from biopsy done along with MRI....i had a lumpectomy performed 1 wk ago, and had a 6 x 6 x 2.2 cm. area of tissue removed during surgery. the nurse called me back 2 days ago, and said that there was NO cancer seen in pathology results...there was some LCIS seen but no DCIS....said that the doctor wants to see me again in 4 days after he consults with pathologist,
and MD who did my biopsy and hook wire placement to make sure that he removed right area of tissue during surgery; also said that biopsy could have gotten the area.....does this happen often???? would a repeat MRI have to be done to be positively sure that the area is gone, and if so, would another biopsy have to be done or just MRI? i am really scared that i went thru the lumpectomy, and that the cancer is still there???? how could that have happened except maybe the hook wire moved???? thanks,paige    
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  If the type of biopsy done initially was an excision biopsy, there is a possibility that the entire area with the DCIS was removed.  Hence, when the lumpectomy was done, no evidence of the DCIS can be seen under the microscope.  This is not an uncommon occurrence.  A repeat MRI may be done to make sure that no cancerous area was left after the surgery, but this is not mandatory.  The doctor who did the biopsy placed marker wires on the biopsy site, and I'm sure the surgeon who did the lumpectomy is competent enough not to miss those markers.