Cancer Community
please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

please help

Hello i am 19 and think i might have cancer. Cancer does run in my family very badly. I just lost a 12 year old cousin from bone cancer and leukymia. The lower front part of my leg swelled a few nights ago and felt like there was pain in the bone. Its been doing that for a few months now. (I do not run so i couldn't have pulled something) and today i started getting sharp stabbing pains in my hip and all through my leg. It was so bad i couldn't stand and when i started to walk to the couch to sit it felt like my leg gave out and i almost fell. I feel really tired all the time also. I am in good health and weigh 120 lbs. Please can anyone tell what could be wrong and what i should do?
Hi! I wouldn't worry immediately about cancer but it good that you are aware of your family history. I'm wondering if you are feeling very anxious about your recent loss? Anxiety can create trouble with circulation to your extremities and also a feeling of fatigue. In addition, it can cause rapid heart rate, rapid breathing and a sensation of passing out. I do not think that the pain would be caused by this though. I'm not a doctor but a Nursing student and I'm wondering how often you sit or lie on your couch since you mentioned that this is when both instances occurred. If you are greiving and anxious and find yourself sitting or lying for long periods you could develop what is called a DVT which has the symptoms you describe of pain and swelling. It is important to get regular movement  of your legs. Basically, when you don't move your legs, the blood in them pools and can form a clot which can travel up your leg and also prevent circulation to the rest of your leg. If the swelling continues much longer you should go to the ER because they will have to give you medicine to prevent/treat the clot. One thing you should also consider is does anything make the pain worse or better? Does sitting/lieing in a certain position help? In my experience, cancer pain is very hard to treat and would not go away with a OTC usually so if this does help then it it probably not cancer. Also, cancer pain usually does not come on suddenly but as a late sign. Please update and let me know if this helps.
Thank you for your advice. I walk my dog and walk to the store alot so im not always sitting. But my leg is still hurting. It usually starts hurting when i stand on it and walk. When i sit it helps some but the pain is sometimes unbearable.