Cancer Expert Forum
please help

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

please help

my 12 yr old is currently seeing an oncologist as he a lesion on his right mandible which they described in ct scan as high potential of sinister pathology, he had one biopsy which came back with nothing nasty and then he had another biopsy where they have taken 3 samples and swabs ,we dont get results til the 11th aug.. can anyone tell us do you think this is cancer as sarcoma?? was written in his notes ,i just want to be prepared for my sons sake.
thank you for whoever read this .

nickijc
I am sorry that your son is in this situation. The uncertain diagnosis will be perhaps clarified when histopathology is available next week.
Meanwhile, could you tell me the exact report given by the radiologist? Is the jaw lesion arising from bone, or from soft tissue? Ewings sarcoma sometimes occurs in that region. Many other lesions (non-malignant and malignant) may also occur there.
Recent advances in medical science have made treatment of these lesions much safer and effective.
All the best, and God Bless!
hi, we have copy letter from consultant to oncologist which states a large radiolucent area around lower right wisdom tooth with substantial radiological loss of the cortical plate and new bone formation in that region??

Again, there could be many bone lesions that could cause this radiological picture, including some non-cancer causes.
Please wait for the histopathology report.
Good Luck!
good news in a way, biopsy came back with no definite signs of malignancy. docs say my son has a persistent bone infection which will be difficult to treat. what i dont understand is why after the ct scan which showed a grim lesion did we go thru weeks of hell being prepared for it being cancer and also why didnt infection show up on blood tests and he has had loads of antibiotics in the past which havent touched it.. we r pleased but stunned and would be glad of some advice please
Osteomyelitis or infection of bone is often difficult to treat. It may not always show up in blood. Prolonged courses of antibiotics too may be eneffective, and repeated surgeries may be required.
Also, please ensure that all material removed surgically from the jaw lesion is always sent for histopathological testing.
Please consult an experienced orthopedician.
All the best!