Cancer Community
post radiation therapy dementia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

post radiation therapy dementia

A family member was diagnosed approximately 15 years ago with a throat cancer.  

He underwent a long series of radiation therapy and suffered radiation burns .

Once an easy-going, out-going, caring parent, sibling and businessman, over the past two years,   there has been virtually total personality change, alcohol abuse,  violent behavior.

Where can I find more information relating to this dementia process and what may be done in the management area?

Thanks for any leads
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Since your relative was diagnosed with throat cancer fifteen years ago, I'm assuming that the radiation therapy was also completed around that time (or at least more than ten years ago).  If this is the case, then the personality changes you observed starting two years ago cannot be attributed to the radiotherapy.  I also don't think it is proper to label your kin's condition as "dementia" at this time.  Personality change can have various neurologic and psychological causes, and dementia (a progressive deterioration in higher brain functions among the elderly) is just one possible cause.  My concern at this point is to rule out the possibility of cancer recurrence in the brain, which could also cause symptoms of personality change.  

I think the best thing to do is to have him examined by a doctor, preferably an internal medicine specialist or a neurologist, so he can be evaluated thoroughly.  It may not be  a good idea at this time to simply surf the internet for a possible diagnosis. This just leads to speculation and needless anxiety on your part.  Go see a doctor first, then surf the net for answers.
my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2/05.  She did very well until about a year and a half ago when it spread to her liver, bones and brain.  She had full brain radiation therapy and the cancer has been stable.  Throughout the last year and a half, however, she has been forgetful, angry etc.  Just recently within the last week or so, she has gotten progressively worse.  The initial insult was a urinary tract infection but her situation has still worsened.  She has basically lost her mind (similar to the behavior  of patients in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).  She always has been a person with a strong personality, outspoken etc.,  but her behavior at present is just NOT her.  Her doctor says it is 99% radiation dementia.  How should we proceed?  Continue with her chemotherapy regimen she has been on (her lung cancer is stable - were it not for her brain dementia she could still live a good quality of life.)  Her doctor's prognosis of the radiation dementia is not good - not at all.  What are your suggestions.  Continue chemo or keep her comfortable.  She is 84 in May 09.