Cancer Community
post surgery swelling
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

post surgery swelling

Hello-

I am 21 and was diagnosed and treated for squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue. I have none of the known risk factors except for being in the small rare group of otherwise healthy young people with oral cancer. I had a hemiglossectomy (they removed about 1/6 of the tongue - right lateral), a flap was taken from my left and a partial neck dissection. The lymph nodes came back clean as did the margins around my tumor.  My surgery was 19 days ago.  At my last appointment (about a week ago) my team said I was healing rapidly and ahead of schedule. Today I noticed that some of my swelling along the incision on my neck is more prominent than it was a few days ago.

Is it common for swelling to fluctuate? I also think my "new tongue" is more swollen than before but perhaps it is because I am gaining sensations in the new part?  If anyone has any insight on post surgery conditions from a medical standpoint or personal experience please share them with me.  

Three months ago I would have never guessed I had cancer...but thus is life!