Cancer Community
posterior mediastinal tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

posterior mediastinal tumor

Last Friday, I went in for a cardiac catheter procedure. I have hypertensive cardiomyopathy and 2nd degree AV block type 2. The procedure was to assess the state of my arteries before determining the need for a pacemaker. At that time, the cardiologist found a "mass" located directly behind my heart. I was immediately sent for an MRI the same day. The cardiologist there concluded that I have a posterior mediastinal tumor approximately 4.5cm in size directly behind the heart. Both main arteries run to this "very vascular" tumor. I am being referred to a thoracic surgeon Monday. Has anyone else had experience with this? I am relatively sure it is a neurogenic tumor of some kind which tend to be benign, but considering it is tied into my arteries and I have had loads of symptoms (back pain, chest pain, bradycardia, tachycardia, fatigue, dizziness, etc) I am slightly concerned. I am also not sure how it can be operated on considering its location. Any advice would be appreciated.
Nursing student here. Don't know as much about the Dr's but can give some info that may be helpful. They may be planning to due surgery to "debulk" the tumor in essence making it smaller so that it can be treated with traditional therapies such as chemo radiation. Defenitely ask your Dr. more questions, I don't know why Dr's have such a hard time giving pertinent info!
Thanks for the comment Suziq. I think I have figured it out. Since my post, I had to do a 24 hour urine collection and a couple of days later the surgeon's office called to say they wanted to do a ct scan before my appointment Monday. Considering all of that and where it is and the vascular connections, I think it is a cardiac pheochromocytoma. Of course, it is just conjecture and internet doctoring on my part, and hopefully I will find out for sure on Monday. If that is what it is it is extremely rare. I'll keep you posted; as a nursing student, this could make a good term paper!