Cancer Community
recurring liver cancer after liver transplant
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

recurring liver cancer after liver transplant

64yo male, had Hep C (almost 20 yrs), cirrhosis, diagnosed cancer 5cm (march 2007), chemoembolization (5/2007), Liver transplant (9/2007) found tumor was almost 10cm after surgery. start taking Nexavar 200mg 1-2 BID (dosage depend on diarrhea), take Neupogen 300mcg per week and cellcept, prograf etc, have HBP with medications.
had mild chemotherapy (18mg Adriamycin ) 6 times monthly done by 2/2008.
MRI 4/30/2008 shows no growth and clean, but APF was high ( MD told tme that it's because of transplant and not worry about it).
MRI 9/22/2008 with impression:
Interval development of heterogeneous mass/node about 2.5x2.1x3.7cm along the gastrohepatic ligament for which recurrent/matastatic disease cannot be excluded. Consider PET CT evaluation to see if there is any suspicious metabolic activity.  also left lobe is atrophic and left protal vein is dimunitive. and I will do PET as soon as possible.
If this is recurring cancer which is quite possible to me.
What is the best treatment option do I have ?
Can you do liver surgery again and remove parts of liver with cancer ? and systemic chemotherapy to be followed  ? or radiations ?
What are the prognosis or life expectancy ?
OR  what other alternatives are available and to recommend with good prognosis ?
thank you.