recurring papillary carcinoma or thyroid
I am a 7 year papillary thyroid cancer survivor.  I had a total thyroidectomy, a neck dissection  because cancer was found in 2 lymph nodes and 2 rounds of RAI in 2007.  I had an ultrasound on Monday, 6/3/2013 becaue my doctor found a "goiter" in my neck.  The ultrasound tech said that there is tissue on left side.  I am waiting the official results of US and the results of bloodwork that was done prior to US.  What are the most likely results and the next steps I will be taking?  Will I need a biopsy or is surgery and RAI in my near future no matter what the official results are?  I do have some neck discomfort and a sore throat.  Could these symptoms have anything to do with possible recurrence of thyroid cancer?   Could it just be NORMAL thyroid tissue growing back?  Could it be scar tissue this long after treatment?

HI,
How are you? Papillary thyroid cancer is the most common thyroid cancer and in general has a very good prognosis.  Recurrence and scar may indeed be possible differentials but it is difficult to evaluate without the results of the diagnostic tests. Both ultrasound of the neck and thin spiral CT of the chest may help in diagnosis. . Recurrence may warrant surgery and further radioactive iodine. It is best that discuss this  with your attending physician for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted with the results. Best regards.