Cancer Community
scared!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

scared!

hi im 18 years old and my friend told me this could be a sign of cervical cancer; one side of my cervix seems to be longer than the other and this is all the time, and im really scared this could mean i have cancer, does anyone have this? thank you
I'm guessing your doctor told you about this as there would be almost no way for you to see your own cervix yourself.  I would ask your doctor his/her thoughts but everyone is build differently and it could just be normal.
I agree with Mukenhimer...talk to your doctor about it. You'll find a lot of people have opinions about potential illnesses, but it's always best to talk to the professionals. Your friends may mean well, but frequently can be misleading.
thank you, its just its like a bump and its freaking me out, i asked my doctors for a smear test but they said im too young so im just going to be worrying about it til im 25 or something!
I would ask your doctor to look at the abnormality specifically to determine what it is. It may be something that can be explained without a pap smear and can give you some peace of mind.
I rung up to make an appointment but my doctor says not to worry about it because a lump would only occur in the final stages where i would have had symptoms like unexplained bleeding etc, so i really dont know what to do because he says theres no need for me to see him, yet im so worried!
You might want to find a new doctor.  Regardless of what his "over the phone" opinion is, I'm surprised he wouldn't be willing to see you to evaluate something abnormal in order to give you peace of mind.  Doctors are no different than any other job, there are good ones and bad ones and if you aren't happy with the answer given to you by one, ask another.  It's your body and you'd know if something is abnormal or changing.  I would either contact another doctor and ask for an appointment in order to diagnose whatever you are seeing or try being a bit more insistant with your current doctor.  It let him/her know that, although it may not be cancer, you'd like to know what it is and that there is nothing to be concerned about.  Hang in there and try not to get too worried.  Chances are it's not cancer but, for your own sake, let's make sure there's nothing to be concerned about.  Take care!
Right, update. FINALLY got an appointment with a different doctor, she looked for about 10 seconds said it was my glands and that was that. however, i dont understand how this, what feels to me, like a massive lump could be just 'glands' and she didnt feel it or anything but she said my cervix looked normal, so should i be reassured? because at the moment i dont!
For a fact, women have different lengths and shapes to their cervix as men do with their penises.  Also women have different levels of nerve endings in their cervix.  Many woman can have nerve enriches cervixes that when their cervix is bumped that they orgasm when sexually aroused and others the cervix is not as sensitive.  The nerves cause the sensitivity.  GYNs do not study women's sexuality so they do not know. You can check this out for yourself.  Also, the cervix plan an important role in holding up the pelvic area and acts as a gatekeeper to the uterus so infection and other foreign objects cannot travel into the uterus.  So remember, women's cervixes comes in all shapes and sizes.  Don't have a LEEP conization which can cut nerve endings and lead to a lifetime of sexual dysfunction and pain.  Read the work of Dr. Beverly Whipple.