Cancer Community
scaring of the lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

scaring of the lungs

My wife was diagnosed with COPD in1997.  She has suffered with asthma all her life and just recently was told that she has alot of scar tissue in her left lung and that she has lost about 30-40% of the useage of the lung. She quit smoking about 06 months ago and is very worried about the effects of the scarring.  I am concerned that with the deteriation of the lung. If she suffers an allegie induced asthma attack or if she gets pnumonia again or even a simple cold that it can cause her serious problems with her breathing she was admitted to the hospital on the 24th of feb. and is still there.l What if anything can be done to remove the scar tissue? If removed can new alveoli develop? And what can be done to stenghthen the lung capability that she has now.Do lung cleanses actually do anything?

This discussion is related to Histoplasmosis and lung cancer (tar build-up on calcifications).