Cancer Community
skin turning yellow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

skin turning yellow

My father has had myelodysplasia for about10 years and throat cancer for about 3 years.  In the beginning of both he was given 6 months to a year, obviously he has surpassed this by far.  His skin started to turn yellow about a month ago.  I was not sure it was yellow at first.  I live several hours away and get up there about twice a month.  This last visit there was no doubt he was yellow.  His eyes do not seem to look yellow to me.  He is tired of hearing you have this amount of time to live, he is not a candidate for treatment, per mayo clinic for his cancers.  He dose not want to go to the doctor at all.  What do you think about the yellow skin.  Is this close to the end, could it be something to do with all the medicine he takes, is there something simple that could help this?  He dose not want to go to the doctor and have to listen to you should do this or that, he dose not want to prolong it, yet he dose not totally want to give up.  I know this is alot to ask but what do you think, is the end near or is there other answers?
Tags: Blood, throat

How are you?
Pale skin can be due to anemia or due to toxicity of the chemotherapeutic drugs.
Most of the chemotherapeutic agents suppress the bone marrow and cause decreased production of RBC leading to anemia.
Intravenous or oral Iron can be taken as a treatment coupled with a diet rich in green leafy vegetable.
Please discuss this with your father’s oncologist. Do keep us posted!