Cancer Community
sun and nexavar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

sun and nexavar

I have stage 4 HCC out side the liver with hep C cirrous. I am 61 years old and feel mostly OK.  My oncologist wants me to start taking nexavar, but she said that I could not spend time in the sun.  Being a surfer and would like to take some time in MX.  This drug does not sound to good for the amount of time (3.5 to 3 moths of life extension) that it boast will give me. has any one had any experience with nexavar and the sun?

Michael in Astoria OR
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
Nexavar can cause sunburn like rash so it is advisable to avoid direct sun exposure and use a sun block with a sun protection factor of at least 30 .A drug is usually prescribed by your doctor if the advantages outweigh the risks. This drug is very effective in hepatocellular carcinoma .Management of dermatologic toxicities may include topical therapies for symptomatic relief, temporary treatment interruption, and/or dose modification of Nexavar, or in severe or persistent cases, permanent discontinuation of Nexavar.If you are anxious about the side effects it is best to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Do clarify all your concerns. Keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!