Cancer Community
swollen feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

swollen feet

Hi my 62 year old sister, diagnosed colon cancer which has metastised in her liver. Doc 2 months ago said that only 5% of her liver was healthy! some of her colon and the tumor has been cut. gardually she lost her appotite and now swolling on her feet which is getting bigger. Doc said this is natural because of her kidnies and liver failure. the thing it has made me mad befor and after her sergery (surgery) her doc prescribed her with methaton painkiller 5mgl to relax her. my sister forcunatelly hasn't got that much pain, but why given her methaton? please can you tell me the life expection with this rate of cancer
Tags: Colon

I am very sorry to hear about your sister.

How bad are her kidney function and liver function tests? What does the ultrasound report say?
Also, do you know what are her total protein and serum albumin levels?

The swelling in her legs could be due to kidney failur or due to decresed proteins in her body.

The life expectancy in this stage of the disease as what you describe is very less. I would not be able to give you a time span over here but you need to understand that this is advanced stage of the cancer.

Methadone is for palliation only. She could stop taking it in consultation with her doctor if she does not have much pain.

Do let us know about your sister's progress.
Hope this helps in some way.
Good luck and best wishes.
Hi, thank you so much for your kinds word and your support
which means a lot to me!
unfortunately, my sister is going down very fast due to
liver failur as her Doc visited her today and said that.
sorry, I can't say more, it is a extremely difficult moments
as I'm not with her!
I wish you health and happyness
when I felt better I get back to you

I understand the pain and trauma that you might be going through at this stage.

I suggest you be around your sister always in these moments so that both of you have fond memories to hold on to.

It would be best to ask family and friends to visit and spend time with you and your sister - that would also help to divert her and your attention.

Do keep your strengths and spirits high so that your sister is not depressed or sad.

Do let us know about how you and your sister are doing.
Good luck and best wishes.

thanks again for your kind words,

urin infection and freguest  uncontrolable frequent urination in this stage of cancer is the side effect of colon cancer?
dose paitent get diarrhea is this stage too?

This could be due to urinary tract infection. Ask her doctor to get a urine examination done - and suitable antibiotics be prescribed.

She needs to drink plenty of water atleast 1.5 - 2 litres per day.

Yes, diarhoea can occur at this stage.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
My Dad has been diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer he is going through radiation 5 times a week.  His feet are starting to swell, and very frequent urination.  Does anyone know if this is common or something to worry about?
How is your father doing now?  I had the same experience?