Cancer Expert Forum
swollen lymph nodes

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

swollen lymph nodes

I was hoping to get some insight in to some problems that I have been having recently.  I am a 29 year old female.  About 5 months ago my lymph nodes on my neck under the chin started to swell up they got quite large about the size of a ping pong ball.  I also had fairly severe chills.  I went to the Dr. who said that the nodes on the back of my neck were quite swollen as well as my spleen and liver.  I had a mono test (it was negative) and a white blood cell count done that was normal but I was in every week for about a month until he thought that my liver was starting to go back to normal.  That was about 2 months ago.  I went back in last week because my lymph nodes were still swollen and painful at times particularly on the right side of my neck and I have had a numbness tingling feeling on the right side of my body in my arm hand leg and foot, as well as an uncomfortable feeling under my ribcage that started on the right side but is also on the left from time to time almost like there is something large and hard under there.  When I went in he didn't say much about anything but had me go in for another white blood cell count as well as a liver function test.  While I was there I had 2 veins collapse and the ladies asked about bruising which I hadn't even really noticed.  My husband and I looked these symptoms up on the internet and found that some of these are symptoms of leukemia.  I have no family history of cancer, but am started to get really worried about it.  If there is any advise or info you could give me it would be greatly appreciated.  My gp is not telling me anything about why he's ordering these tests or what he thinks might be wrong.

Thanks so much,
Donna
Avatar_dr_f_tn
You probably need to get investigated further. A normal WBC count makes the possibility of leukemia unlikely. It would be helpful if you could provide the exact counts. You also need to clarify with your doctor regarding the viral infection they are suspecting. A biopsy of the enlarged lymph nodes may be helpful. Multiple bruises with no apparent trauma may indicate a decreased platelet count or a disorder of blood clotting. It may be a good idea to get your platelet counts and hemoglobin checked as well.
All the best and God Bless!
I should add that I have also been having eye symptoms that are not related to allergies.  They have been getting blood shot , watery, sore and tired with what looks like small pools of blood in certain areas
UPDATE:
My labs just got back this morning, and they told me everything looked normal- WBC and liver function test.  I still have all the same symptoms though, and last night I noticed more bruises and a couple funny marks one that is on my right hand that is like a small cut with a small red circle around it and another on my right forearm that is kind of pinky purple and round no cut.  I don't know what any of this means if anything.  Could you still have cancer with a normal white blood cell count?  Or could it be something else?  
I'm sorry I keep adding to this but I just got off the phone with my DR. ( it was the nurse that I spoke to earlier) and he told me that my wbc was consistent with a virus and that I should continue to wait it out (after 4 months).  He told me that it wasn't uncommon for a virus to last this long.  I'm not sure if that means that my numbers were high or low, or if  waiting it out is sound advise.  
Thank you so much for your response.  When I spoke to my Dr. he said that he was going to "help me out" but did not specify what that meant, he also wouldn't give me the numbers because he said I wouldn't understand them anyway.  I am still waiting for a call back from him.  I don't know if you can answer this question or not but I was tested for HIV in routine pregnancy blood work in '98 and '01.   I have not been with any one other than my husband since then, and only 1 other person before.  While looking up my symptoms some pointed to HIV.  Is it possible that that could be the virus.....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
You need to clarify with your doctor regarding the viral infection he is suspecting. Were your tests for HIV negative in '98 and '01? If they were negetive and you have no reason to believe that your husband is infected with HIV, it is unlikely that your symptoms are due to HIV. Please discuss this aspect with your doctor too.
All The best!