Cancer Community
thickening of the stomach wall cause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

thickening of the stomach wall cause

Hello and thanks for taking the time and consideration of my needs here.  

I've had a dull pain in my stomach, upper left just under rib cage, sensitive to touch also, for many years but has recently become more regular with burping and hiccups after eating or drinking.  Sometimes there is minor bloating.  I do have mild proctitis occasionally (diagnosed over 10 yrs ago) but otherwise a healthy active 56 yr old with a good diet (fruit, veges, fish, eggs, chicken, whole grains and healthy yogurt, ice cream.  Tea drinker but have been drinking expresso this summer).  

I just had an ultrasound (august 2013) to see if this pain is a hiatal hernia.  On the ultrasound no hernia but the stomach wall shows significant thickening.  Don't have the report yet to give exact measurements.  Below is some history and other tests that have been done.  We still don't know what is causing the thickening and my question is:  what do I do now to diagnose the issue and be sure this is not stomach cancer?   we have a lot of cancer in my family and i grew up next to a superfund site.  I am also having low grade fevers, sort of like hot flashes and I don't sleep so great but I take herbs that help ("Happy Sleeper").  I am a light drinker-  glass of wine with dinner -    But I am not having caffeine, alcohol, sugar and cows milk now to help heal hopefully (and maybe diagnose what is causing this stomach wall thickening)c

Please see below to see the tests already done -

A CT scan of abdomen and pelvis (in march 2013) showed thickening of stomach wall and sigmoid colon wall.  Followed up with upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy.   Esophagus looked normal.   In the stomach no erosions or ulcers and no findings suggesting thickening of the gastric wall.  The pyloric channel was normal.  Duodenum was normal through the second part.  (This is all from the operation report.)   "Colonoscopy was completed to the cecum.  Preparation was excellent. ...  Colonic mucus appeared normal.  No polyps, diverticula, or inflammatory changes of the colon were seen.  The sigmoid colon in particular appeared quite normal.  Examination of distal rectum revealed some nonspecific mild erythema and mild friability which in this clinical context is consistent with some minimally active ulcerative proctitis. ".

Two biopsies of the stomach for "for rapid urease testing, rule out H. pylori..  These were negative for H. pylori."

My concern is to rule out stomach cancer, and then to help everything heal.  Like I said,  I have been aware of this pain for many years, maybe even almost 10 years, but it has become worse -  I am aware of it most the time and the burping, feeling of some reflux -   I have had a coupe episodes of reflux when i burp up stuff.  One of my doctors says that I "am very aware and sensitive to my body but I also have a high pain tolerance".

I hope you can help me know what the best thing to do now is.  I am the parent of an adult child with multiple and complex disabilities who depends on me to be well and live long.    Thank you and hope to hear back soon.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I understand your concern regarding your symptoms and diagnostic test results. While wall thickening is often associated with inflammation and possible malignancy, additional diagnostic tests including biopsy will help rule out malignancy. Symptoms of stomach cancer usually include indigestion and stomach discomfort, bloated feeling after eating, mild nausea, loss of appetite and heartburn.Screening tests may be done such as upper GI series  gastroscopy and biopsy.  Take care and do keep us posted.