Cancer Community
thymic tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

thymic tissue

I have had 2 CT scans since 3/08 and they showed #1-"new abnormal soft tissue in anterior mediastinum"
#2- "apparent new thymic tissue in anterior mediastinum". My doc is saying it is probably just scar tissue and we will do another CT in 5 months. Scar tissue from What?? I have had at least 6 Ct scans in the last 2 years and am somewhat concerned about the radiation. I think I should seek a 2nd opinion from a thorasic surgeon and maybe a biopsy. The doc ordering the ct's is a pulmonologist What are your thoughts?
I would definitly get a second opinion. Are you sick? WhatI mean, do you have any other symptoms? I had some chest pain that started the summer of 2006. I had a few chest xrays and CTs and it turned up nothing. I was told depression and anxiety. I did have one lymphnode that was a little enlarged in the anterior mediastinum. I was sent to a pulmonologist who watched it. In 09/07 he did a CT of the abdomen and groin and found a moderate amount of enlarged lymphnodes. In 10/07 I had a biopsy and it was cancer. In between all the watching I went to a thorasic surgeon who laughed at me and said there is nothing wrong with you. I went through chemo and I am in remission. The only symptoms I had was pain in the chest and major fatigue. When you feel something is not right you should get a second opinion sometimes a third. Both of my Doctor's were shocked that I had cancer because I did not have all the classic symptoms. I told them now they have new ones to add to there list. Good Luck to you! I do hope they find nothing wrong but if they do you will get through it! Chemo is not as hard as people say.

Keep the faith,
Janna 02
Thanks Janna. I went for thourough pulmonary exam in 06 cause I smoked and my daughter kept insisting. They did find a small nodule on lung and just kept watching it every 6 monhs. No change to that which is good. In March 08 another ct showed as I stated in other post then another in May 08 showed as I stated above. As far as symptoms, it's hard to say. I started taking the drug Chantix 8/29/07 and on 9/4/07 every part of my body was hurting. This drug is a killer. I Did quit smoking, yeah!! I was determined to quit anyway. After investigating online I found others having the same problems. Joint, muscle pain, knees hurt and burn like fire. Stiff and painful neck, always. I do sometimes have a dull ache in center of my chest and get a little short of breath. My daughter says I have symptoms of Myasthenia Gravis which is related to thymus gland. My doc is not suggesting anthing at this point and it just concerns me somewhat.
My brother has Myasthenia Gravis and you can tell by the symptoms: difficulty swallowing, droopy eyelids, weakness, etc. Doctors suggest MG patients have their thymus removed but the link between an abnormal thymus and MG is not yet clear. There are simple tests to check for the disease and the earlier it is diagnosed, the better. My brother is doing very well in controlling MG by taking some prescription drugs.

Good luck.