Cancer Community
thyroid cancer
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

thyroid cancer

My dad is going for a biopsy soon, but the dr. told him that 2 of the 3 lumps are more than an inch in dameter and very hard.  the dr also said they are probably cancer because the majority of hard ones are.  any information will help.  i am scared and do not want to lose my dad.  he is only 53.  i am 31 and have a 7mos old who deserves to have a grandpa.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi.

Even though your dad's doctor is inclined to believe that the thyroid nodules may be cancerous, nothing is certain unless a biopsy is done.

However, even if thyroid cancer is diagnosed, there is still hope as most thyroid cancers are curable. The most common types of thyroid cancer, which are papillary and follicular, are the most curable, and are usually treated with complete removal of the lobe of the thyroid which has the cancer and removal of most or all of the other side. If the cancer is treated correctly, the cure rate is very high.

Hope this helps.
Blank
Thank you.  it does help.  he has been getting looked at for about a year and they just thought to check the thyroid because he has been getting B12 shots weekly and cannot hold a normal B12 level.  what are the odds that it is anaplastic which is not curable from what i read?
Blank
Hi.

Papillary thyroid cancer is the most common and occurs in about 60-70% of cases while follicular thyroid cancer occurs in about 10-20% of thyroid tumors. Anaplastic carcinoma occurs in only 3% of cases and is usually seen in persons over 60.

Hope this answers your query.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank