Cancer Community
unexplained painless bump inside my lip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

unexplained painless bump inside my lip

I woke up this morning to discover an odd lump inside my inner, bottom lip. At first I thought it was just a canker sore, but it isn't painful. When I put it in between my teeth it feels kind of lumpy. I thought it might be a cyst, but aren't those supposed to be blue? Now, here's the other thing: I just turned 21 years old, and have recently started smoking again. I smoked for awhile when I first went to college, but quit the second year and haven't really smoked since then. But right now I'm in China, and cigarettes are cheap, so I got sucked into the habit and have been smoking about a pack a day for two and a half months (smoking is more of a neurotic compulsion for me than the need for a nicotine fix). So naturally, I think, "pack a day for two months, strange, painless bump...mouth cancer?" Given my situation, would it be possible to get oral cancer from only smoking for two months, albiet heavily? Could this bump be a tumor? I always thought people in their 30s and 40s got cancer--you know, people who have smoked for more than a year. But I don't know...being abroad, it just heightens my anxiety about everything. I know I probably sound horribly irrational...I just need some peace of mind right now.
-5 Comments Post a Comment
We all think of the worst. I seriously doubt it's cancer but Im no doctor we all think of the worst. Call your doctor so he can check this lump and I think your mind will be eased.
Well if you're worried about getting mouth cancer then it's pretty obvious what you have to do... stop smoking.
You are too young to get mouth cancer and yes carcinogens normally don't affect you for years after the exposure. The lump is probably one of those fluid filled things that pop.  Give it a few weeks to see if it goes away and if not see a doctor.  But... quit now.

Good luck.
wow, i woke up with the same lump in the exact same place, on the inner bottom lip of my mouth and i am only eighteen and have never smoked. so i doubt it is cancer, but i am anxious to find out what it is too.
I recently found a bump inside my lower lip similar to your description.  I used to chew regularly, but now it's rare for me to take one.  I have been watching it a couple of days and its a bit annoying.  I think it started when I bit my lip chewing food...