Cancer Community
uterine cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

uterine cancer

Recently had transvaginal ultrasound, came back with endometrial fluid, just had endometrial biopsy and DNC.  Dr told me fluid in cavity was not a good thing to have and is a sign of uterine cancer.  Well you can believe I am scared and need to wait 10 days for results.  Can the fluid be cause by anything else besides cancer?  History: endometriosis, 4 yrs; bloating, left lower quadrant pain, sometimes feels like something is in there, multiple cysts over yrs, pass with menstration, "fibroid changes from last ultrasound, enlarged uterus for 10 months, shown on last two ultrasounds(10/2007, 7/2008)  Fluid was found on this last one 7/2008.  38 yrs old, premenopausal, have two little girls, ages, 7 and 4, on YAZ to help control endometrial pain and periods for about 1 yr now.  also do have episodes of frequent urination. I can't help thinking the worse, my girls are so young--I need to be there for them.. Please advise on any other conditions that may cause this fluid, or is only cancer  -thank you so much for any guidance or information..
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Having fluid in the uterine cavity does not necessarily indicate uterine cancer.  The presence of uterine fibroids, which are non-cancerous tumors in the walls of the uterus, may also lead to accumulation of intrauterine fluid by causing narrowing of the cervical opening.  There is also a study done by Maturitas, et al (see http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0378512204001781) in which 74 postmenopausal women with endometrial fluid accumulation were evaluated.  Only 5.4% were found to have endometrial carcinoma.  The rest had polyps (another type of growth in the uterine walls), endometrial hyperplasia (thickening of the innermost layer lining the uterine wall), or endometrial atrophy (thinning of the lining).  I can understand your anxiety while waiting for the biopsy results.  Let's just hope for the best.
Thank You for taking the time to respond.  I am relieved to tell you that my biopsy came back negative, no precancerous changes, no cancer.  What they did find was that I have an unknown chronic endometrial infection along with fibroid changes.  I am currently on two antibiotics and scheduled for a follow up ultrasound in October.  With all of my discomfort with endometriosis, enlarged uterus, cysts, fibroids, and this recent scare, I am planning to have a full hysterectomy within the next few months.  i am 38, we are happy with our two girls, and really we should not have any more children, we have a 50% chance our next child will have a worsened genetic disorder, so this to me is a wise decision.  I will say that having this issue has made me look at my life, realize where I want to do better by my children, my husband, and myself.  I have a high demand job and work long hrs and there are small things, but important things, that I always say I will have time for, maybe next week, make special dinner for my husband, swim some laps in the pool, or take the kids to the park, get ice cream, or just spend some time on the front porch reading a book to my girls.  I'm making that time NOW.  We never know what is coming at us, could be car accident, or disease, but I want to do my best for now on to live in the moment, make it count everyday.  Thanks again so much for your support.  I wish all of you the very best