vagus nerve damage
MY WIFE,AGE 49,UNDERWENT SURGERY 3/14/07 FOR A TUMOR, THYMOMA CANCER. AS
A RESULT HER HEART RATE IS UP,SHE HAS VOCAL CORD PERALISIS AND HER STOMACH
DOESN'T WORK EITHER.IT APPEARS IT ALL STEMS FROM VAGUS NERVE DAMAGE AND WE'VE BEEN TOLD TIME WILL TELL IF THESE THINGS WILL COME BACK.THE VOCAL CORDS ARE STUCK IN FULL OPEN POSITION SO SHE CANN'T EAT OR DRINK WITHOUT IT GOING INTO HER LUNGS.SHE HAS BEEN ON TPN SINCE AND HAS A PEG TUBE FOR DRAINAGE PURPOSES ONLY SEEING AS HER STOMACH ISN'T WORKING.A STOMACH PACEMAKER
WAS INSTALLED TO GET IT WORKING BUT HASN'T.MY QUESTIONS ARE SIMPLE. IS THERE ANYTHING FURTHER THEN WAITING THAT COULD BE DONE.WE ARE GOING IN TO HAVE A J-TUBE INSTALLED NEXT WEEK TO GET BETTER NUTRISION BUT I'M ALSO CONCERNED ABOUT HER HEART RATE AS WELL. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED.
I am sorry to hear about your wifes troubles.
The doctors are probably right when they feel that a damaged vagus nerve is the root cause of these symptoms.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to predict how long it will take for it to recover even partially.
Supportive care like good nutrition, passive chest physiotherapy, active breathing exercises, etc may be useful.