Cancer Community
vitiligo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

vitiligo

I was diagnosed with vitiligo when I was 6 years old. I had a patch of white skin on my forehead and a part of my hair turned white as well.  I am 54 now and it never appeared anywhere else on me. I always parted my hair on the side to cover it.  I don't see  the patch on my forehead  anymore and I use hair color now cos my hair is white now so i don't know if its still there.  In reading the articles noone ever mentioned that it effects the hair as well.  thank you.
***@****
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there,
In vitiligo melanocytes are absent with signs of inflammation in the deeper layer of the affected skin. The areas of depigmentation usually appear on skin which is exposed to light like the face or back of the hands. The hairs in areas of vitiligo may remain pigmented or can go white .Premature graying is also common. The course of vitiligo varies and is unpredictable. You are lucky that you did not have any new patches. Do write to us again.
Best luck and regards!