Cancer Community
white blood count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

white blood count

My daughter, 27, had two blood tests done .  The first came back with a white blood count of 4.4 thou/cmm. That was done in April.  One was done in June and she just got it, and the white blood count on this one is 3.9.  Her doctor has just now suggested she go to an oncologist.  I am scared to death.  Does this mean my daughter has cancer ( Leukemia)? Please tell me you can have a low white blood count and it not be cancer.

A low WBC (white cell count) can be from an overwhelming infection or sepsis, viral infections, HIV/AIDS, immunosuppression, bone marrow suppression, anemias (aplastic, pernicious) or medications (including chemotherapy and antibiotics).

My daughter has always been very suppessible to staph infections.  In fact, two years ago her whole face and eyes had the infection.  The last rash she had we thought were shingles, on the back of her neck.  Very tender, burning, sore and would crust over.  Last year we thought she had cervical cancer, but it turned out to be something different, not life threatening.  She is not a drug user and drinks socially, doesn't even smoke.  She is in mid term nursing school when she found out about the WBC.  I am so afraid it is going to be something life threatening.  I tried to look up all the suggestions you mentioned.  None of them sound too good. She has been with only one male for the whole of her young life, for 12 years.  I have asked if she has had an aids test and she said she had and was okay.  THe problem is the man she has had the 12 yr relationship with.  He is a crack addict....and has slelpt around on her.  I told her I wouldn't let him touch me unless I saw a paper saying he was disease free.  If she was given all these blood tests,( she has had endometriosis and cycsts on her ovaries in the past), would they have not tested her for HIV?  I am so scared.  I don't want to lose my baby.  Even if she is 27.

It could be that her WBC normally runs low.... that does happen in some people. However, with her being susceptible to infections, her system may be worn down. I doubt her physicians' tested her for HIV. If they had, she would have agreed to sign a consent. The good news is that her chances of getting HIV are very, very low.. statistically speaking that is. I know I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and after I had a severe case of mono, I was constantly getting sick... so much that one Urgent Care Physician suggested that I may have AIDS ! I knew he was wrong... but got tested anyway. Of course years later, they finally diagnosed me with CFS.

I wouldn't worry too much... but I would consider talking to your daughter and telling her your concerns.

Good luck !