Cardiac Rehabilitation Community
Chest pain after stent
About This Community:

Cardiac Rehabilitation (Rehab) is a medically supervised program that helps improve heart function for people who have heart disease, have suffered a heart attack or have certain heart disorders.. Rehab programs include monitored exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help you return to an active life. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cardiac Rehabilitation patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: tracking success, diet-nutrition tips; family issues, research, recovering from surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chest pain after stent

Hi,

Any idea why the following is happening to me?

July 2012 I had a stent placed in the RCA, lucky for me I had a CT calcification scan and it showed a mild blockage in the RCA. I did not have any chest pain or rushed to hospital. This was discovered by chance as my GP did not know what was wrong with me, he did all sorts of tests, like gal bladder, pancreas etc..... All came back clear. So he suggested the CT calcification scan which as you read above indicated a mild blockage. After the stent I was put on Coplavix, Crestor 20mg and told not to eat any red meat again and to stay away from diary products. I stopped smoking as well. The cardiologist said the blockage was 70%. I had a drug eluding stent. About a month after the procedure I started having left arm and chest pain. I was taking to hospital and the ECG and blood test and X-ray all came back clear. I was referred back to the cardiologist who said that it was not the heart and it was the settling of the stent as the artery had been stretched when the stent was inserted. And the pain will go away. Well that has not been the case I still get pain in the chest and left arm. My GP noticed about a month ago, April 2013 that my blood pressure was high. He prescribed beta blocker and the cardiologist put me on 2.5mg tritrace. Sorry for got to mentioned that the cardiologist took me off Crestor and put me on Vytorin instead as the Crestor was giving me pains in the legs. I have asked the cardiologist on numerous times why I am experiencing this pain and he said you must have anxiety.
I experience sharp like aches / pain in the chest from time to time as well as dizziness, not like the room is spinning. I want to have another test that will put my mind at ease. A test that can check if there is any other blockages and if the stent is working properly and not blocked.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks
Dave
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
159619_tn?1318997813
Have you asked your doctor to do a nuclear stress test? It would show if the stent was doing it's job. Having said that everything your cardiologist said makes sense, it could just be your heart adjusting to the stent. The only way to know for sure is another cath and I'm fairly confident they would not perform one. A stress test would seem resaonable to me by they know your history better.

Jon
Blank
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you that the cardiologist won't want to do another cath. I will ask about the nuclear stress test and let's see his response. I stay away from almost everything as he suggested. I eat baked beans everyday for lunch and at night salad and chicken. I am not over weight. I don't drink and I gave up smoking. I am thinking of getting a section opinion.

Thanks again.
Regards
Dave
Blank
5475881_tn?1368582411
I would highly recommend having your doctor do a nuclear stress test. This way you will know 100% if it is stress that is causing this.
Blank
976897_tn?1379171202
Well, it would be obvious to you if it were anxiety related. If you feel the pain, just check your body and the situation you are in, as well as what you was thinking about. It will soon become obvious if it is anxiety. If this happened after the stenting, then I would personally conclude that it must be down to the  procedure. I think that in cases like this, steps have to be retraced to get a clear picture of events and reasons. My first question is, what was wrong with you to allow the Doctor to discover the blockage in the first place? What were your symptoms? I ask this because you may not have needed the stent, if there were adequate collateral vessels (natural bypasses) opened. In actual fact, with your heart naturally adapted, placing a stent may have made matters worse. So I'm just wondering what your initial symptoms were and how long you had them.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
Blank
ineedy commented on photo
Jul 20
Blank
sonybunny joined this community
Welcome them!
Jul 19
Blank
AngelicNurse commented on Portion Distortion: H...
Jul 16
Cardiac Rehabilitation Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979