Cardiac Rehabilitation Community
Collateral Arteries

Cardiac Rehabilitation (Rehab) is a medically supervised program that helps improve heart function for people who have heart disease, have suffered a heart attack or have certain heart disorders.. Rehab programs include monitored exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help you return to an active life. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cardiac Rehabilitation patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: tracking success, diet-nutrition tips; family issues, research, recovering from surgery.

Collateral Arteries

8497858?1352364851
Have two questions.

1. My vascular surgeon want to perform an aortabifemorl bypass.  The Radiologist posted the following results and conclusion: "The proximal abdominal aorta U shows very minimal atherosclerotic disease.  The celiac origin, SMA and bilateral single renal arteries are widely patent. There is complete occlusion of the infrarenal abdominal aorta
approximately 2.5 cm below the renal arteries. The external iliac arteries are reconstituted bilaterally. Runoff below the common femoral arteries is normal bilaterally.
CONCLUSION: Complete occlusion at the infrarenal abdominal aorta 2.5 cm
below the renal arteries consistent with Leriche syndrome.

I noticed on my CTA Aorta runout I have Arteriogeneses bilaterally on both illiac and femoral arteries.  Would exercising to increase the blood flow thought these collateral arteries be better that having the bypass surgery?  I am not looking to run a marathon and I am currently able to golf 2 rounds each weekend with a cart.. I am happy with my current limitations... Surgery stats give a 5% death rate and then a 25% possiblility of infection in the first two years from the graft material.

Also, is there any specific exercises to increase the efficiency of the existing collateral arteries?
Tags: arterial disease, Peripheral Arterial Disease, arteriosclerosis, Leriche Syndrome, Infrarenal Abdominal Aorta
Your condition is very complex and really requires a doctor to answer. You can post on the expert forum and have a Cardiologist give you a better answer. Having said that, I do not believe that exercise is a solution to your problem and in fact may complicate the matter. You could very easily rupture a vulnerable plaque and complicate your condition further. You should always ask your doctor about your condition and if they feel you are healthy enough to exercise. You really need to discuss this with your doctor.

Jon