Cardiac Rehabilitation Community
What is the best care protocol for recovery after bypass surgery?
About This Community:

Cardiac Rehabilitation (Rehab) is a medically supervised program that helps improve heart function for people who have heart disease, have suffered a heart attack or have certain heart disorders.. Rehab programs include monitored exercise training, education on heart healthy living, and counseling to reduce stress and help you return to an active life. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Cardiac Rehabilitation patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: tracking success, diet-nutrition tips; family issues, research, recovering from surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What is the best care protocol for recovery after bypass surgery?

Hello. I'm new to this website. On June 4, 2010, my father suffered cardiac arrest. Through many twists of fate, divine intervention and overall good luck, he survived his bout with ventricular fibrillation after 3 minutes of unconsciousness.

He remained unconscious for about 18 hours after the cardiac arrest. he suffered short term memory loss in the first few days but that improved significantly to about 80-90% before his bypass surgery. He had his triple bypass on June 11 and was discharged on June 15.

My mother also had a heart attack as a result of the stress that my father collapsing caused. My grandmother also lives with my mom and dad.

I want to help them but when I go over there with my 2 kids it seems to stress my father out more and he ends up feeling more ill (understandably so).

What is the best care protocol following bypass surgery to help care for my father and hopefully minimize the depression that so often comes after these events? Is it best to have professional help to keep things even and measured? or will he benefit more from family there to help while my mother is not at 100%?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.