Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Expert Forum
Blue lips

Questions in the Cardiovascular Disease Prevention forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

Blue lips

I'm a 34 yr. old female.

In January, overnight, my lips turned white.  I had a blood test and was told - no anemia; blood cells look good.
Then a week later I noticed that my lips looked blue.  Went to the dr. & was told oxygen 100% and had a test for methemoglobin which came back normal.  
I later went to a cardiologist who tested me for a hole in my heart with an ECHO w/ bubble contrast.  The test was normal.  

My lips are still very pale and you can see quite a few large blue veins in them.  Sometimes my tongue even looks bluish - not always.  My lips always look white and most of the time the blue veins are noticable.  (I'm keeping the lipstick companies in business)

My question is....should I seek other tests or should I feel confident with the results I have?  Is it normal to see veins in your lip?  I feel fine except for the anxiety this has caused me.  It has been almost 4 months.  
I really think hematology is the last stop. As long as you feel well. I can see how that is anxiety provoking. I have treated raynauds phenomenon which is cyanosis of the hands and fingers which is usually intermittent and associated with some environmental issue like stress or cold wheather. It is conceivable that this is an odd variant but again  that is transient. It is self limited and poses no health risk
Hello
It's a quite interesting problem. Are there any others symptoms like shortness of breath, fatigue, weight loss, blueness of fingers??

You have mentioned tests for anemia and oxygen desaturation as well as cardiac causes. All of which are common causes for this uncommon problem.

If you are not having other symptoms, I think the last person I would consult would be a hematologist. If they have no answers, I think you should feel comfortable that all options have been exhausted.

Good luck with that unique problem.
Thank you Dr.  That is great advice.  I have no fatigue, and I had lost 10 lbs (from the anxiety) but have gained half of that back now.  The best answer that every doctor could give me was that my lips were blue because of anxiety.  The problem was that the anxiety came after my lips turned blue and I couldn't find any answers.  I have noticed that the skin under my fingernails looks more pale than everyone else now but I am very fair skinned.  

Thank you.  I didn't know where else to turn.
A related discussion, infant blue lips/fingertips was started.